Monday, December 30, 2013

"The New Years Resolution" bullshit

All right.  Here we go.  We are all aware what "The New Years Resolution" is.  Every single year millions of people make the same resolution.  Loosing weight.  Every single year millions of people do not follow through on that resolution.  Makes me sad.  Very sad.  Now, I am all about anyone and everyone taking control of their life.  Loosing weight.  Getting healthy.  What ever your reasons are .. great! 

Go for it.  But this is also the time of year the sales people come out.  Selling their magic potions.  Powders.  Shakes.  Pills.  Drops.  Sprinkle crap.  Low fat.  Low cal.  Low carb.  No carb.  We all know the list could go on and on.  It is time to stop the insanity.  Really and truly.  Now by no means am I any type of expert and these are only my honest to goodness opinions on the subject.  Loosing weight is not rocket science.  Honestly, it is pretty easy.  The sad thing is all the "information" we are fed makes it hard.  You should eat this.  No no not that.  Only consume 1,200 to 1,400 calories a day.  Workout endlessly.  Count points.  Weigh and measure. 

For me, personally, I have come to the realization that all of it is complete and utter bullshit.  Yep, I called bullshit on this whole weight loss situation.  Let me start with "the products" ... you don't need to spend $$$ on drops, shakes, powders, pills, sprinkle crap, and all the like.  It may make you lose weight in the beginning and as long as you are taking it.  Seriously, think about it.  Most come with a special diet.  If you follow the diet and take our expensive "insert item here" then you will most assuredly lose weight. 

Follow just the diet, I bet you lose weight.  Most of these items are a great way for those selling to make $$.  Quick weight loss.  Don't have to do anything.  Again, I call bullshit.  Yep, look at those results they are great!  Check back in a year or two.  Check back after the wallet has run dry.  Check back after the "hey, I can do this on my own" kicks in.  Most gain it all back plus. 

It is drummed into our heads, especially women, that less is more when it comes to food and more is better when talking exercise.  I call bullshit again!  Go to your doctor.  Read any miracle weight loss article.  Yep.  You are to consume 1,200 calories and the weight will melt away.  Again, I call bullshit.  That is starvation for anyone out there.  And guess what if you are exercising or training for anything and only consuming 1,200 calories a day .... bullshit. 

I read so many stories of ladies following a 1,200 - 1,400 calorie diet and exercising an hour + every day.  When you stop losing weight .. reduce calories .. exercise more .. nothing happens .. why not .. I need to get extreme .. spend hours .. eat less .. why no pounds off .. I give up.  Your body is starving.  It is saying "Whoa Nelly, I am holding onto every thing.  I am not getting enough to do all this and I am not burning a thing."  Simply put, you must eat to lose.  Simply put,  if you are not training for anything in particular then exercising over an hour is not really worth it. 

Really any thing over an hour is unnecessary.  And if you do workout more than that .. tbh .. you had better be increasing your nutritional intake.  Having been around the block a few times.  Yep, I tried this and that.  Never any of the pills, shakes, drops, powders, etc.  But one of the bigger weight loss companies.  I lost weight.  Around 60 lbs.  I also came out with a screwed up metabolism.  Thank you _____.  I came weekly.  Paid my dues.  Stood on the scale.  And for it I got a screwed up metabolism.  Nice.  Luckily, it can and has been mended.  And yes, I did keep it off, lost more, and kept that off. 

If I was going to do it all over again, in my honest and humble opinion, I would simply figure out my TDEE.  TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure.  Know what it takes to figure it out?  A google search and some honesty.  No money.  From there you can figure out your calories needed for maintenance, lose, and gain.  Quick easy and painless.  Then hook yourself up on a tracking website.  I personally use MyFitnessPal.  There are tons of others.  Again, the cost .. free.  Adjust the goal .. don't follow the one the calculator tells you.  Log food.  Enjoy. 

I detest tracking but it is a necessary evil.  Currently, I sit at day 75 of logging in continuously.  That is a record for me.  I call my log .. The Good.  The Bad.  And The Ugly.  LOL  Now there are some other items to consider.  I mean you have to change your eating habits.  Some need to figure out their relationship with food and why it is the way it is.  Yep, most of the time if you are overweight there are underlying issues.  Yes, there are some caused by medical issues but most weight gain is due to poor control or crappy food.  You can eat "clean".  That means different things to different people.  You can follow IIFYM.  Which is If It Fits Your Macros.  For me personally, it is my version of "clean".  I just feel better. 

Again, the views expressed in this blog are mine.  I am no expert.  I do not claim to be.  I just have opinions.  We all have them  We are all entitled to ours.  If you want help figuring this stuff out .. let me know.  If you need an accountability partner .. let me know.  Honestly, there are a few I hope read this and ask for help.  I so want everyone to get healthy. 

Over the years there is one thing that I have 100% learnt is YOU MUST DO THIS FOR YOU!  NO ONE ELSE.  YOU MUST LOVE YOURSELF.  YOU MUST LOVE YOURSELF NOW AND EVERY SINGLE DAY FROM HERE ON OUT.  HAPPINESS DOES NOT COME IN A WEIGHT OR CLOTHING SIZE.  LOSING WEIGHT IS NOT THE CURE FOR YOUR PROBLEMS.  IT WILL NOT MAKE YOU HAPPIER.  IT WILL NOT CURE RELATIONSHIP PROBLEMS.  IT WILL NOT GET YOU A BOYFRIEND/GIRLFRIEND. 

I wish you luck in what ever you resolution is.  I hope you are one of the few that stick to it.  Meeting your goals.  Exceeding even you expectations!  Go get it in 2014!





*** If you wanna look for me on FB or MyFitnessPal just look under LoveLaughSweatFuel.  ***




No comments:

Post a Comment