Saturday, December 8, 2012

Garbanzo beans or chickpeas

For years my Momma has been eating these little weird shaped beans on her salad.  Honestly....I just never got it.  They never appealed to me.  At all.  Nadda.  Bleck.  But as time has passed and my eating habits have changed they have entered into the Brereton family menu on an occasion or two. 

The kiddos love bean and veggie burgers.  And this bean has become our binding agent for what ever veggie we want to throw in the food processor.  Back to this use of them!  I've read for over a year about people roasting them.  Okay.  Honestly.  Does that sound YUMMY?!  My thought was not at all but I still wanted to give them a try.  I live by .... how can you say you don't like something if you have never tried it. 

I pulled out one of my trusty cans of garbanzo beans.  Drained and rinsed them off.  Placed them on  paper towel to dry a little ..... they sat there a while!  I ended up eating lunch.  Placed them on a cookie sheet.  Spritzed them with EVOO.  Sprinkled with a little pepper and Mrs. Dash seasoning.  Placed them in the oven at 375* for what ended up being 40 minutes.  I did review a recipe or two and most listed cook time as 45 mins to 1 hour.  All of our ovens are different.  Please keep an eye on them.  At 40 minutes...well...we had some really brown ones. 

Pulled them out of the oven.  And here is what we got...........................................................


I like 'em!  My kiddos like 'em!  My hubby likes 'em!  I can really see using them as a crunchy salad topping.  Or placing in serving size bags and taking along as a snack.  I do recommend shaking the pan or turning them while in the oven at least once.  And will admit that some are crunchy and some are a little softer but still crunchy.  If that makes sense.  I'm looking forward to trying them again using different seasonings.  Being creative! 

If you decide to give them a try ... let me know what you think! 

No comments:

Post a Comment