Thursday, December 6, 2012

Maple and Brown Sugar Crock Pot Oatmeal

Some of you might remember how much I loved the Baked Apple Pie steel cut crock pot oatmeal.  Variety is always kinda nice!  Last night ... I scoured the Internet.  Reading recipe sites.  I found that most recipes are the same with just a few variations.  Truthfully .. who doesn't like to make their own little variations? 

I came across Maple Brown Sugar Steel Cut Crock Pot Oatmeal.  I'm a fan of maple syrup and raisins in my regular oatmeal.  This sounded good!  I will list the recipe as I found it first and afterwards list as I made it.  And also list any future substitutions.  First let me start with steel cut oats.  Some people are not fans of it.  It does taste slightly different than regular oatmeal.  So, I suggest purchasing a cheaper brand at first to try.  Not that I'm bashing Quaker, Red Mill, or any of them but $6.00 plus dollars for a box of oats you may not like .. well .. pretty much sucks.  Aldis sells them.  And I have been purchasing mine at Big Lots.  My choice is Whites Irish Oatmeal Steel Cut Oats for $3.00 a box.  Again that is only my recommendation! 

Here is the recipe as it was written:

Maple and Brown Sugar Crock pot Oatmeal
 
2 tbsp real maple syrup
1 cup uncooked steel cut oats
3 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 to 1 cup raisins
1 1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cup water
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp butter

Spray crock pot with non-stick before hand.  Cook on high for 2 to 3 hours or low for 5 to 6 hours. 


Before! 

After! 

I didn't write down the site that I found this on.  BAD JEN!  I knew all the ingredients were on hand so I was excited. 

Here is what I did:

2 tbsp sugar free maple syrup
1 cup uncooked steel cut oats
3 tbsp homemade organic brown sugar
1/2 cup raisins
1 1/2 cup 2% milk
1 1/2 cup water
1 tsp cinnamon

I put mine in a bowl.  Place the bowl in the crock pot and surrounded with water.  Put on low around 11 pm and let cook all night.  Bottom was a little done but still 100% fine.  I don't like real maple syrup.  Tried many brands .... not happening.  Sugar free maple syrup is my one vice.  And I didn't get what the butter was for.  My version made 5 cups that come out to 223 calories and 4 grams fat.  If you omit the raisins it would be 171 calories. 

Next time around ... I will be taking the milk down to one cup and the water up to 2 cups.  Also, the raisins will not be added.  I don't like reconstituted grapes that are little hot balls.  I will just sprinkle them on top in the bowl.  Again, this can be reheated in the oven quickly.  I'm sure you can use the microwave if you have one.....which I don't. 

Let me know if you give them a try! 

No comments:

Post a Comment