Tuesday, April 16, 2013

This is my husband and his Union Hospital Run for Home saga ......

This is my husband .....  John

Yes the picture is not the most flattering!  Ever see the ones he takes of me?! 

Here is his Union Hospital Run for Home 1/2 Marathon saga.  Let me start with a little background.  He does not run.  He does not exercise.  He has 100% absolutely no desire to be "active and fit" ... he says that.  Although, he has recently started attending Zumba classes and seems to really like them.  The Union Hospital Run for Home 1/2 Marathon has been going on for a several  years and is relatively close to our home.  Within 1 hour is great!  And the cheap registration fee is fabulous! 

We had originally planned to run in it last spring.  When the subject was brought up in November/December of 2011 ... he was all gung ho.  I acted like it.  I knew he would blow every thing off.  Then week of would come and he would be feeling pressured.  So, as time passed by, I never told him that registration didn't happen.  Around the beginning of March 2012, I told him that we were never registered and why.  He was pretty darn happy about it!  I remember a little singing going on. 

Well November/December of 2012 rolled around.  The subject was brought up again.  He was all gung ho again!  I acted like it.  I knew he would blow every thing off.  Then the week of would come and he would be feeling pressured.  So, I registered.  Yes, I only registered myself.  I never told him otherwise.  We talked about it constantly.  I mentioned maybe he should throw on some shoes and go out.  Nope!  Nothing!  I'm not talking following a real training plan but maybe just exercising once or twice a week for goodness sakes. 

The beginning of March 2013 rolled around .... only 1 1/2 months from race day.  He was talking about the race and was really worried about the fact he had blew off the training and it was going to really be tough.  I told him that I knew he would and that I had not registered him for the race.  All he said was "Well, I'm going to do it.  Can I still register?"  We registered him that evening.  He said a little work would be put in.  Even if just 20 minutes here and there.  He did a total of 5 training runs in the two weeks leading up to this 1/2 marathon.  For a total of 14.25 miles ran. 

Here he is on race morning .... this picture was chosen for a reason ....


He does not listen to me.  No biggee!  We actually have a good bit of friends that run long distance races or run distance in general.  He has heard me talk about shoes!  He knows I have knee issues and quality shoes are a must!  Plus let's be serious!  I'm not a 110 lb  waif that is going to complete a 1/2 in 1 hour.  I need support.  He thinks I'm full of $hit!  I told him for months, even before he was actually registered, that we needed to get him good shoes.  Nope!  No biggee!  So, he went out the week of the race and purchased the shoes he has on in the picture.  A pair of $15.97 Starter tennis shoes from WalMart.  He also bought a new package of socks to wear.  Yep, those socks are right out of the package.  Just opened them up race morning!  For any of the seasoned, "real" runners, or even those that read Runners World out there .... for the love of God this man has done every thing wrong so far!  I was happy that the pajama pants didn't get worn.  That morning he consumed more fruit than I have ever seen him eat in 16 plus years.  Oranges and apples.  Which is really strange because .. well .. we'll just go with him and citrus don't get along. 

On our drive down he drove slower than ever.  I actually told him "It doesn't matter how slow you drive.  We will still get there before registration is over.  You are going to run today!"  There was just a loud sigh from the drivers seat.  We found a parking spot.  Ventured over the hill.  Completed registration.  The number and shirt makes it official.......


     
Walking back to the car he mentioned that someone was looking at his shoes and snickering.  It is what it is!  I got him ready to go.  Again, there was a lot of loud sighs.  I told him he would be just fine.  I had all faith in his abilities.  I knew he would be waiting at the end to cheer me across.  I got his music ready.  Nope ... he doesn't know how to 100% work his Shuffle.  We had some time to kill.  We walked the last 3/4 of a mile and to the finish line in the stadium.  This starts in Tuscora Park and ends in Woody Hayes Memorial Stadium in Dover, Ohio.  They are right beside one another.  Beautiful park!  We will be visiting! 

We stretched and ran a little.  The decision was made to try and "stick together".  Not right together as we've never run together.  But with a 30 yard radius.  And just kinda feel it out.  I like to start at the back of the pack.  I don't like the pushing and shoving that goes on.  He put in his earbuds and started singing.  Yes, he sings to his music.  Did I mention that it is out loud?  For all of those around him to hear.  He is a carpenter and floor layer for a reason.  LOL  The race started and we were off.  My parents and our kids yelled to us at the exit of the park.  And off onto the road we went.  I knew we were "cooking".  I was feeling tired.  He was singing.  And we hit the first mile marker.  My Garmin beeped and I decided to look.  9:23 for the first mile.  I bid farewell to my hubby!  I did not train for nor can I maintain a 9:23 per mile pace.  I quietly waved .. he was about 3 feet in front of me .. and fell into my pace.  He went off singing loudly!  I did say to myself "Don't worry.  I'll see you again.  I will catch you!" 

He ran non-stop for the first 5 miles.  Passing drink stations, etc.  Around mile 6, he stated that it become harder to run.  In mile 8 there is a pretty substantial hill ... gradual incline then just a flat out kick ass hill and the other side is just a downhill shot ... he said that he stopped at the drink station right before and decided to walk it.  He moved up to a gradual slow jog but had to walk down the downhill.  He said at this point that right about his knees hurt like someone was hitting him with a hammer.  From there on he got slower.  Between mile 11 and 12 you run past a hospital, he started running again because he knew if he didn't that he wouldn't get started again. 

He came across the line in 2:35:46 for a minute per mile pace of 11:54.  He was 31st in his division and ranked 371 out of 447 total.  His entire goal was to beat the sweeper truck.  As I got closer to the finish line ... he was standing there ... all he said was "THESE SHOES SUCK!"  Our son and I crossed the finish line.  After a few minutes we started talking.  He promptly asked me "Why in the world would you let me run in these shoes?"  A grown man can make his own decisions.  He told my mother and I will quote this "THIS SHIT IS FOR THE BIRDS!"  My parents and cousin, who came to watch, just laughed and laughed!  

We headed off to dinner and talked about the course and our runs in general.  Our son asked if he would do it again.  I knew and know the answer.  He joked and laughed.  I knew the bug had been caught.  We talked on the way home about getting "good shoes".  He wants to go and get some.  And last night he called my brother to tell him all about his experience.  There were a lot of things said but two stick out .... "You know my legs just don't hurt.  I really think I'm just used to this running thing!"  Seriously?!  Would anyone like to kick his a@@ for me?  One time and he is used to this running thing......UGH.  And "It really does make me think that if I was serious. Maybe did some training and had some good shoes I could do really good."  Told you the bug had been caught! 



You wanna race?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment