Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Union Hospital Run for Home 1/2 Marathon Recap



Here is my race recap.  This blog is a little difficult for me to write.  Why?  Well.  Honestly.  I just feel really ....... just read on. 

Remember 2013 is all about me getting honest with myself.  Running has never been my favorite thing.  And honestly, long distance races and serious weight training do not go hand in hand.  I was more than happy to say "High ho" to serious training.  Times and paces and strides and blah blah blah.  Well they kinda suck the little fun there is out of it.  There was a change of attitude.  Yep, I've registered for races in 2013 but my entire goal is to finish.  I don't care about time.  Pace per mile.  I just want to cross the line.  Feel proud.  And beat the sweeper!  LOL

Going into this race, I did not train like in the past.  I have consistently been running 4 miles.  Yes, only 4 miles.  Seriously, my longest runs since the Wineglass Marathon have been 4 miles.  I knew going in that it was gonna be tough.  My thought was that I knew in my heart of hearts that I would be good for 6 to 8 miles.  Then I would be relying on my general activity level carry me through to the end.  Hey, I like to take risks ........

Remember, I just want to beat the sweeper! 

Here are my and my hubby on race morning after picking up our packets. 
  
Ain't he sweet?! 
If you read my husbands recap you know that we had some time to kill.  We checked out the finish line in New Philadelphia's Woody Hayes Quaker Stadium.........


The finish line is just out of the picture.  Nice stadium.  Wonderful track!  Afterwards, we ventured into the health fair.  There were various stands selling all types of products.  Health facilities giving stuff away.  A Crossfit booth.  The nice gentleman and lady from this booth every so nicely told me that I didn't look like a runner.  I agreed .... even though there is no "runner" look - attend a race and you see all shapes and sizes.  They told me I looked as if I did "other stuff" more regularly and asked me if I ever thought about Crossfit.  I told them that I followed at home.  They were very happy to hear that and asked me about some numbers.  The young lady even gave me some pointers on some of my more favorite items .... double unders were one!  I thanked them for the info and we headed out to warm-up. 

As mentioned in my hubby's recap .. our goal was to stay some what together.  He runs in general faster than me but I have more stamina than him.  So, I knew it would be interesting.  We talked about the kids being there at the finish.  They were very excited to see their Dad running!  We lined up.  I prepped him.  We discussed trying to stay within about 30 yards of one another.  If that didn't work then we would just part ways and do our own thing.  Off we went!  This race starts in a long parking lot and then out onto the street.  We were almost to the end of the parking lot and I heard a loud "JEN".  Much to our surprise my parents and our kids were already there.  I waved to my Dad and quickly scanned for the kids and Grandma.  SIDE NOTE .... I have no idea why she didn't want to run this.  It felt kinda weird running without her.  I saw them.  They yelled and my son gave me a high five. 

We ventured out onto the street.  My husband was singing for everyone to hear.  The man cannot sing!  As we approached the first mile marker, no lying here, I was winded.  I knew we were "cooking".  I decided to glance at my Garmin just to see what our pace was.  It read 9:23.  WTH!?  I knew that was not a long term option for me and the little training that I had done.  I quickly waved to my hubby and fell back into my own pace.  I have too much "bulk" to try and pull that pace out of my @ss.  First several miles were great.  I did slow up at the water stations.  It was very sunny and surprisingly warm .. then again this is my first 1 pm start for a race .. it was a little odd feeling. 

Between mile 6 and seven, there is a part of the race that kinda loops around.  I knew this was my best chance to see where John was at.  As I ran just scanning those heading back at us my headphones fell from my hat.  Dangling from my Shuffle.  I fumbled with my hat.  I only wear one headphone and tuck the rest up in my hat as my Shuffle is clipped onto it.  Ever run being really sweaty trying to get a bunch of wires and a wrap around earbud to stay in a hat.  Not easy!  I walked as this process was going on.  As I started running again ... there he was.  My thought was I CAN CATCH HIM!  I estimated him to be about 1/2 mile in front of me ... didn't know where the course was going to take me ... and he was slowing.  Ended up being about 3/4 of a mile in front of me.  At this point in the race, you run through a park.  There were little league games going on.  Every have outfielders in a live game clap for you?  We all did that day!  I dropped in some energy chews .. god I am starting to detest those things! 

And I decided to take off.  I powered through the park.  Up the hills.  Then comes mile 8.  This nice 300 yard gradual hill with a kick @ss hill climb at the end.  As I approached the hill my legs were getting really really freaking heavy.  Breathing good.  Legs like cement.  The lack of mileage had fully kicked in.  I was sweating.  Dirty.  While approaching the base of the steep portion, I decided to break down to a power walk.  I bent my knees.  Swung my arms.  And by george, I passed about 10 people on that hill.  Impressive enough that the cop on top of it directing traffic commented "That was pretty amazing!"  YEP!  Top of the hill was a bout 20 yards and then a steep downhill.  I decided quickly to run the hill.  I kicked it in gear and ran down that hill .. no fighting.  Around the bend at the bottom, I ran for about 100 more yards.  The heavy legs kicked in big time.  I knew I was in trouble.  I walked to the next water station about 250 yards away.  Grabbed two drinks and walked along analyzing what my options were.  I reminded myself that my goal was to beat the sweeper.  But I knew I wanted to catch my husband.

I decided to do a run walk type thing from there on out.  Like I had any other option!  Cement legs aren't good for much.  I looked at my Garmin the next time it beeped out a mile.  It was something like a 12:23.  Depression set in.  I again reminded myself that my goal was only to beat the sweeper.  I trudged on.  I slowly would pick someone out and work to pass them.  The road got real rough.  Should have called it trail running.  Passing mile 12, I was hoping to see my hubby in the distance.  I knew in my heart that I wasn't going to catch him today.  Depression set in.  I again reminded myself that my goal was only to beat the sweeper. 

I rounded the last little bend to the park entrance .......


And some joy set in.  I was done.  Best part, I knew exactly where the finish line was!  Here are a few pics of the route you run through the park to the stadium .........  




Now imagine that path lined with finishers.  Their families and friends.  They all clapped and cheered as I passed.  I've never felt that.  In the marathons, I've run 98% of the spectators are gone by the time I've hit the finish and my family is the only one cheering.  A little boy yelled "Your doing great! Keep going."  Other finishers told me how wonderful I was doing and the finish was just ahead.  It was such a great experience. 

Except for the depression setting in as I ran through them.  I wasn't revealing in it.  I was disappointed in myself.  I was disappointed that I let myself fall that far.  I was disappointed that my goal was to beat the sweeper.  I was disappointed that there were people behind me fighting to make this finish line.  I was disappointed that there were people who had trained their @sses off to get this finishers medal.  I was disappointed that I _______________- you can fill in the blank.  I crossed that finish line with my name and hometown being announced.  I crossed that finish line not being proud of what I had done that day.  I completed that 13.1 miles.  I technically earned that finishers medal.  It is hanging with my others.  I am not proud of it. 

I finished in 2:43:26 with an average pace of 12:29.  Rank of 391 out of 447 and 29th in my age group.  For the first time in my adult life, I am ashamed of myself.  The time and average pace really are not the problem .. although they are very disappointing.  I am ashamed that I just .. well .. I don't know how to explain it.  I am ashamed and disappointed in myself because I did not put my all into this.  I feel as though I made a mockery of the 1/2 marathon experience.  I need to find a happy place between my new goals and running.  I still have this desire to "conquer" running.  I will return to the 2014 Union Hospital Run for Home 1/2 Marathon and kick its @ss! 

I am not a "beat the sweeper" type person!             
 
And that is being 100% honest with myself.  This whole honesty thing with myself is really harder than I thought.  So, now the work begins in finding what works for me!  


Just another picture of the park! 



No comments:

Post a Comment