Sunday, July 22, 2012

Enough already!

This morning I arose early in plans of doing a long run as part of my marathon training.  Well, my hubby had come home from work last night, slept for a few hours, and then was back out again early this morning.  So, my run was postponed.  That isn't what this post is about but that situation did directly contribute to my idea. 

Since the kiddos were asleep and I was awake ... well I tuned in some TV time.  I don't watch much cable/satellite TV.  Basically, if it isn't on NBC, CBS, ABC, or FOX this girl really doesn't watch it.  I listen more to TV than anything.  I flipped through our vast array on channels hitting on this and that.  Grabbing snip-its of shows that "read" interesting in their descriptions.  Yes, I'm up a little on my History channel viewing now.  Along with many other channels.  I didn't even know we had some of them. 

One thing that I noted was a OVER ABUNDANCE of weight loss commercials and exercise info-mercials.  I've been Nutri-Systemed.  I've been Jenny Craig'd.  I've been Slim-Fasted.  I've been some weight loss pilled.  Something called Sensa'd.  I've watched workout programs with God.  I've watched workout programs that promise unbelievable results in just 10 minutes a day....but in fine print at the bottom the 10 minute workouts should be stacked to get the best results making it about 30 to 60 minutes.  I've Hip Hop Ab'd.  I've Total Gym'd with Chuck Norris and Christy Brinkley.  I've Ab Lounged.  I've been ab swiveled ... don't remember the name but it looked ridiculous!  I've had bariatric surgery.  I've been told to wear this magic bracelet.  And the list could go on. 

It was like toy commercials at Christmas time on kids based channels.  I'VE HAD ENOUGH!  The fact is there is not a magic pill.  No magic potion.  No magic system.  No magic machine.  No magician to grant you that wish.  Sorry, but it takes work.  Does that suck to hear?  YEP!  Guess what .. you gotta burn more than you consume.  Just common sense.  You must find what works for you.  Every single one of us is different.  Every single one of us has a different body.  It is not one size fits all.  Trial and error.  Are you gonna lose 20 pounds in a month?  Most likely not but it is possible.  Are you going to have to give up some things you like?  More than likely.  Are you gonna be uncomfortable?  Yep.  Are you gonna feel like quitting?  Yep.  Are you gonna get down on yourself?  Yep.  Everyone does. 

I found it interesting that not one of these commercials talks about dealing with WHY?  Yes, we all know you need to move more and eat less.  It isn't rocket science.  But if you don't deal with the issues that made you get to where you are at ... it isn't gonna work.  They just show "dejected and depressed" looking people who are overweight and down on themselves.  Some times all by themselves watching "skinny" people doing fun things.  Because we all know if you are overweight life is a bitch.  You don't laugh.  You don't talk to people.  You might as well just lock yourself in a room and throw away the key!  But once they are "skinny" life is sunshine.  Fun.  Laughter.  Surrounded with "hot" guys and "hot" chicks.  OMG!

Seriously?!  Are there still people out there that believe this?  Guess what getting "skinny" doesn't fix your life.  Life is not going to automatically change to sunshine and rainbows.  Lollipops and unicorns are not going to show up on your door step.       

Gym memberships.  Exercise dvds.  Workout equipment.  Running shoes.  Walking shoes.  Any of those things.  Guess what?  In my eyes ... they all work.  I don't care how ridiculous the ab swivel thingy looked.  I don't care that the ole' gazelle machine was a little odd.  I don't care if you want to dance with God.  Take 10 minutes with Tony Horton.  Break out the bulky looking contraption of the Total Gym with Chuck Norris or Christy Brinkley.  If it makes you move your body .... YIPPEE!  Simple as that in my eyes.  You more than likely aren't gonna get "phenomenal results in 90 days" or "rock hard abs in just 10 minutes a day" but your moving!  And that is a start. 

As a little personal disclaimer ... I can not bash on the Total Gym.  My father bought one about 1 1/2 years ago.  He uses it.  Hasn't lost a pound.  Of course, there was no nutritional changes made.  But he does it.  Several times a week.  It gets him moving.  It makes him happy. 

Point is .... health and wellness doesn't come in a prepackaged meal, powder, pill, bracelet, shake (of any kind), or any other method that can be shipped to your house directly for three easy monthly payments of not $59.99, not $49.99 but only $39.99 or for monthly payments with 3 weeks free.

ENOUGH ALREADY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment