Thursday, March 1, 2012

Let's talk meditation.....

Meditation ... an enrichment to your soul. 

I read about meditation in several books.  I heard people talk about it.  And you know what?  What a bunch of crap!  Let me find my inner being.  Let me sit.  Calmly.  Chant.  And be one with the world around me.  Seriously?!  Who were those people trying to kid?  I'm a stay-at-home Mother of two kids.  Run my own business.  Why in the world would I want to sit Indian style on the floor and say "Uhmmmm".  Really?!  I would just be thinking .... I really need to sweep the floor.  Boy does my butt hurt.  This is killing my knees.  Will someone be able to help me up?

Then, I don't know, about 6 or 7 months ago.  I read about it again.  And this time.  And this time, I gave it a try.  I always read about people who mediate for 15 minutes to a 1/2 hour.  That say mantras.  This book said start with just 5 minutes.  I could manage 5 minutes.  So, I made a plan.  I would get out of bed.  Use the restroom....we have to have priorities.  And then sit down for my 5 minutes.  That first time, UGH!  Five minutes seemed like an eternity.  I struggled to clear my mind.  I didn't intend on chanting.  Just clearing my mind seemed like a chore enough.  No mantras for me!  Every day, it got easier. 

And in a ways, I felt calmer.  More peaceful.  Now a days, it is a daily ritual.  Well.....in February it slipped by the wayside.  Every morning.  Get up.  Make my bed.  Use the restroom....remember priorities.  Meditate.  Then workout.  I don't even know that my family is aware I do it.  Anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes works for me.  I always clear my mind.  I sometimes chant to myself.  Not necessarily out loud.  But it is always some thing that I need.  It may be "I am worthy".  Or "I am capable."  It really depends on the day and what is going on. 

It just brings me a sense of calmness.  Peace.  Relaxation.  And I feel ready to hit the day.  I can easily control my breathing, when running or working out, by going to that place in my mind.  Either from meditation or yoga, it works for me.  I have read about medical benefits.  Meditation strengthens the mind.  Makes it easier to concentrate.  Improvement in body luster and general health.  And many sports professionals use it. 

Here are just some of the benefits that I have read........

*  lowers oxygen consumption
* decreases your respiratory rate
* increases blood flow and slows heart rate
* decreases muscle tension and headaches
* can help to decrease blood pressure
* builds self-confidence
* reduces emotional distress
* and helps in post-operative healing

Those are just a few of the times that I've read. One thing that people need to realize it that mediation does not belong to any religion or culture.  So, I ask you ..... Do you meditate?  Have you ever thought about it?  It may not be for everyone.  But I don't think you would go wrong in giving it a try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment