Wednesday, March 7, 2012

My Momma....

My Momma.  My Momma .... Julia, better known as Julie. 

Johnny Appleseed 5K .... 2010.  She placed first in her age group. 

I've always been close to my Mom.  Some even remember that I kissed her each and every single day on my way out to get on the bus.  I didn't care who saw me.  Still don't.  My Momma has always exercised.  For that matter, my Dad did also.  I can remember spending a lot of time at the lake while they ran.  I can remember her running from our house to my grandparents more than once.  But, back to my story.  She is a lifetime member of Weight Watchers.  She is a walker.  She dabbles, every so often, in other forms of exercise but mainly a walker.  Basically, if I give something a shot ... she isn't that far behind. 

We started walking YEARS ago together.  Then in 2009, we had an urge to enter a 5K.  It was the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving day.  We went to walk.  Only walk.  But when you;re with a group, the urge hits you at that start line.  She finished first in her age category that day.  We left knowing that running was going to happen the following year.  In 2010, I added a 10K to my list of things to do.  She went along with me.  Again, winning her age category.  Next race, Memorial Day 2010, winning her age category.  Do you see a trend?  Not to diminish her victories, but even she will tell you there are normally only one or two in her age group.

Turkey Trot 2010 ... I didn't feel like cropping the picture. 

Last year, my Brother and I signed up to for the Wineglass Marathon.  She had to do do something.  She signed up for the 1/2.  She set out with three goals .... 1.  Not die.  2.  Finish under 3 hours.  and 3.  Finish before my Brother and I ... we all knew that was going to happen.  Although, I was still out on the course, I hear she finished with a smile on her face. 

Me, my Baby Brother, and Momma
This year brings something new for her.  She is doing the full marathon.  In her exact words, "I'm going to be 63 years old why would I want to run a full marathon.  You know what?  I'm going to be 63 years old anyways."  Way to go Momma!  See, I think lurking under the calm and cool exterior is a person a little more driven and determined that everyone thinks.  My Momma has never let any ailments hold her back.  She definitely doesn't let her age hold her back. 

We exercise together a lot.  When we go, it is with the knowledge that we don't have to be together.  She does her thing.  I do mine.  That is what works for us.  If not she needs to speed up or I need to slow down.  Today, we went out together.  My goal was to stick with her.  When she jogged, I jogged.  Sorry Mom but it was slow.  Not really slow but slow for me.  My legs hurt.  But during that time we talked about her expectations for the Wineglass.  She said "I have 6 hours to finish.  If it takes me 5:59:59, I don't care.  I'm going to do my thing and enjoy myself.  And at the end of the day, I will be able to say I FINISHED A MARATHON.  And we know so many people that think they are not capable of walking a 5K.  I'm 63 years old and I can do anything I set my mind to."  She then chuckled to herself, looked at me, and said "Why didn't you just do your own thing?  Really, don't let me hold you back.  You have goals that you need to work towards."  Always worried about her kids. 

All in all, my Momma is my biggest cheerleader.  Always has been.  Always will be.  And you know what ...... it goes the other way also.  I only can hope to be running marathons at the age of 63!

Go MOMMA! 

   

1 comment: