Thursday, February 23, 2012

Last year

While researching races, I came across the Athena and Clydesdale division information.  Now for those that don't know many large races offer these divisions.  Both of these are basically weight categories.  The Athena is for women that weigh ... wait for it ... 150 lbs. or more.  Clydesdale is for men that weigh ... wait for it ... 200 lbs. or more.  Now,  I'm not going to lie just the thought of adding Clydesdale to a category, whether men or women, I just found offensive.  I didn't research as to why Athena was chosen for women. 

It bothered me that anyone over a certain weight could be placed in a "special division".  Better yet, 150 pounds.  No joke .. I weighed in at 154 lbs. for my 7th grade basketball physical.  I know that has been "light years" ago but you don't forget getting weighed in front of all your friends.  Let alone the nurse stating, very loudly, "We are going to weigh you again.  There is no way that you weigh that much!"  Isn't that an experience everyone would want? 

During a conversation one day, I found out a friend of mine has run in the Clydesdale division a number of times.  And has won them.  So he brought home a little prize on top of the medal and sense of accomplishment.  I kinda get it now.  Now, one would ask why in the world was she thinking of this today?  Who actually thinks of draft horses on a daily basis?  Not normally me.  But today was the exception. 

I went out again for a run/jog/walk.  Actually when I set out there was no real plan.  You see my legs were still hurting from yesterday.  I headed for my Nemesis.  Momma came along.  I told her my legs hurt and I didn't know what I was actually doing.  We struck out on a path of a little under 5 miles.  I felt the need to run.  So, I ran.  That is where the Clydesdale comes into play.  Because my legs hurt, I was running really weird.  Have you ever seen the Budweiser Clydesdale's in person?  They STOMP the ground flat footed.  And that is what I was doing today.   

I immediately started to think about the Clydesdale division.  My thought was this isn't what they were talking about!  But I continued on.  Because it was so "out of whack", I started to develop a blister at around 2 miles.  I kept going.  After a certain time my foot hurt so bad that I walked.  Then my legs would hurt.  So, I ran.  And so went the last 2 miles.  A long 2 miles.  A very long 2 miles.  I finished a little under a 1/2 mile in front of Momma.  That is pretty standard.  I removed my shoes and went out to get her.  Yep, in my socks! 

So, I leave today with the thought of a Clydesdale.  A majestic beauty.  Full of power.  Brimming with strength.  Heck, I could think of a worse animal to compare myself to!  Maybe a water buffalo.  Heifer.  Three-toed sloth.  Wait a minute!  Hold the door!  Sometimes my runs could be compared to a three-toed sloth! 



I'm thankful for ...... 1.  That tomorrow is a non-run day and 2.  Large bandaids!   



   

No comments:

Post a Comment