Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Body image / Body image in the media

Picking a subject from Fitness Cheerleaders list of blog ideas ... Body image in the Media. 

This post is gonna be kinda short and sweet.  Other pages and blogs might write a long drawn out post on reasons why body image bothers them and how it is portrayed in the media drives them crazy.  I'm not one of them.  Personally, I don't have that problem.  I'm 5'8".  Always seem to settle around 190 comfortably.  Built like a rectangle.  Have a pretty flat chest .. that is getting flatter!  UGH!  Strong like an ox.  And muscle bound .. even if they have not always been noticeable. 

I'm comfortable in my skin.  I've known for the vast majority of my life that I am fine just the way that I am.  I never looked at Teen Magazine .. back in the day .. and wished I looked like ___________ in a prom dress.  I've never watched a awards show and said "Dang, I wish I looked like ___________."  I've never looked at a inspirational, motivational, or fitspirational poster and said "I should just quit because I don't look like her and haven't pushed until I puke."

I'm adult enough to realize that pictures in magazines, print, and on video have perfect lighting.  With a great photographer, director, set director, etc.  No one is standing around me with a wind machine.  Holding a light reflective board.  Taking my pics.  I don't believe purchasing undergarments from Victoria Secret are some how some way gonna transform me into a 6 ft. 1 inch 120 pound lady.  I don't look at the Dove "Real Women" campaign and think that real women look like that either.  I'm not ever gonna be curvy and soft looking.

I don't look at the posters that are shown below and see nameless, faceless women that are being objectified for the soul purpose of making the rest of us women feel unappreciated and worthless.   





 

I could have found more pics but didn't want to take the time.  I've never looked at #0519 and said "Damn I want that body".  That body is hers.  That body is not mine.  I read to prove that my genes don't dictate my body, I do  while thinking yep, I control my body and want it to be the best it can be.  What ever that may be.     

I'm me.  I'm fine with me.  I work every day to make myself the best me that I can be.  My best and your best may be dramatically different things.  My goals and your goals may be on two different ends of the spectrum.  I'm not downplaying this "problem" if you have it.  You may look at these things and be dramatically affected by them.  I don't really know how to close this post but that is my take on body image and body image in the media. 

No comments:

Post a Comment