Tuesday, October 2, 2012

My Wineglass Marathon experience .... 2012



So, I don't remember the exact date that this adventure started.  I kinda knew instantly after last years finish at the Wineglass that registration for 2012 was gonna happen.  I did my research and choose a training plan and put my faith in it.  Official training started back in June.  Life was good.  I followed the plan and put in the work.  I didn't really talk about it nor write about it.  Then for whatever reason, I hit a big ole' mental roadblock.  I have mentioned several blogs back to sabotaging myself.  Kinda like I don't feel I deserve to hit my goal.  Since that blog, I have worked very hard at maintaining my "mental stability" while out there running.  And feel like I've done a pretty good job at getting back.  Still a roll of the dice as to which Jen is showing up on any given day .... but we've had more days with the "good" Jen than the "bad" Jen as of late.

My preset goal was 5 hours.  That would average out to a 11:27 per mile pace.  I knew this was completely within the realm of possibility.  Especially with my mind in a good place.  During race week, I was feeling a little off.  I knew what it was and it wasn't supposed to be here at this time.  Yep, I knew that feeling.  Friday morning here it was a week early.  For the first time in my running life, I was gonna have to deal with my monthly friend.  I've never had this issue before.  I don't make bathroom breaks ever and here it was.  I now was gonna have to make a couple bathroom breaks. 

As I packed my car and headed to get my Momma...well...we'll just say...that my mind was already clickin' away trying to figure out what my new game plan was gonna be.  Normally, I go down to a walk for energy chew breaks at water stops but with this thrown in?!  I didn't want to waste that much time.  I decided to stick with slowing to a jog during the first several aid stations and then around mile 8, where ever the station was, make a pit stop.  Not looking at my Garmin until the 1/2 way point.  That was my new plan!  I was gonna stick to it!  No matter what! 


The three of us jumped drug ourselves out of bed and were ready for the day.  Weather was looking good.  There was a chance of rain, actually 60% chance, but it was showing later in the day.  I can say that on this particular morning it seemed different than last year.  Maybe it was because we've been there before but to me it just seemed different.  After the drop off and walk to the start, I quickly removed my long sleeve undershirt.  Trust me I was gonna be hot!  The three of us hugged one another.  Said our goodbyes, good lucks, and love you.  Then headed our own ways.  My brother headed to the pace group he was running with.  And I met up with my Momma at the back of the pack.  I said a few words to her and we started! 

Mile 1 ... 11:21
Mile 2 ... 11:10
Mile 3 ... 10:52
Mile 4 ... 10:49
Mile 5 ... 11:06
Mile 6 ... 11:13
Mile 7 ... 11:02
Mile 8 ... 10:58

During all the aid stations in those miles, I ran and drank.  First time for everything!  I know why they go with lemon lime Gatorade!  If they didn't everyone would have stains all over them.  But it was fine and I was feeling good!  At the pit stop, I grabbed a few drinks, inhaled a some energy chews, and did what needed to be done.  My clothes never felt right.  I don't like running and adjusting at all!  Amazing that during that little break how quickly ones legs can "seize" up.  Taking bathroom breaks suck!     

Mile 9 ... 13:38 ... damn bathroom break!
Mile 10 ..11:26
Mile 11 ..12:26
Mile 12 ..12:18
Mile 13 ..12:29

Well, I was over at the half but close.  I wasn't gonna count myself out.  I knew it was gonna be hard to get back down to what I needed.  My legs were really tight.  I was determined.  At this point, I turned on my music.  I didn't want my mind to have a chance to kick in.  You jockey around a little "town" during this point and I saw two kids with signs for their mother.  I thought of my kids and started to cry.  NO MIND!  YOU ARE NOT GONNA BREAKDOWN!  I immediately thought of something a friend told my husband for me ... start thinking 1+1=2 and so on.  I did my addition and was quickly back in the right frame of mind.   

Mile 14 ..12:57

I started to feel something on the bottom of my left foot.  A biting almost.  I kept going.  I did the jiggling of the foot.  Trying to get it to stop.  Right past the freshly dead possum .. trust me I was starting to feel like him .. I stopped right at the mile 15 marker.  I had to remove my shoe.  After removing it, I noticed a dead bug or what I thought was a dead bug.  It was blood.  WHAT?  I quickly looked at the bottom of my sock.  Yep, it was covered in blood.  I had a small rock embedded in my foot.  I quickly removed my sock and examined the situation.  I yanked that sucker out and threw my sock back on.  Two people passed me up.  NO!  Shoes tied and off I went.  It hurt.  But luckily it was high enough on my heel that with the stone out it was not being struck that hard with each step.   

Mile 15 ..12:51  
Mile 16 ..13:57 .. started the walk-run method and continued with it ..
Mile 17 ..13:02 

Right in this area cramps set in pretty badly.  I had planned ahead and packed a few Tylenol.  I intended to chuck them in my mouth and then grab a glass at the upcoming water station all while still running.  I chucked them and completely missed my mouth.  One landed in a puddle.  And the other who really knows.  I kept going.  Irritated but moving.  I did a quick look at my Garmin breaking a rule.  I was behind.  Not giving up hope though!  I pulled into the aid station for another pit stop.  This one completely killed me.  My legs totally seized up.  My calves were twitchin' and crampin'.  THIS SUCKS!  THIS TOTALLY SUCKS!  But I wasn't stopping!  Somewhere during this stop, I must have hit my Garmin and paused it.  Not meaning to at all.  I realized this some where past the 18 mile marker.  So, I'm gonna list my numbers from here on out but we aren't gonna total up to 26.2.  My story will continue after the numbers. The distance and place doesn't necessarily correspond with the story.  

Mile 18 ..14:40 ... I officially LOATHE bathroom breaks!  SERIOUSLY! 
Mile 19 ..13:43
Mile 20 ..12:50
Mile 21 ..12:54
Mile 22 ..13:27
Mile 23 ..13:29
Mile 24 ..13:36
Mile 25 ..14:35 ... OMG!  Not again!  14's are not acceptable....EVER! 

As I rounded the last right hand turn and faced the "big iron bridge", I was determined to run to the finish.  At the base of the bridge my left calf cramped so tightly that it brought me to an IMMEDIATE stop!  I grabbed my leg and started rubbing it.  Another runner came up to me and said "Oh no!  We are too close for that to happen now!  You had better get your bumm moving!"  She tapped my shoulder and said "Let's go!"  And well, I went the best I could.  She kept moving and so did I.  A good story would say together but that isn't how this one goes.  Felt like she was sprinting!  She wasn't.  Off the bridge, take a left hand turn, and you can see the finish. 

HOW DOES THREE BLOCKS LOOK LIKE THREE MILES?  Put it at the end of a grueling 26 mile run.  I was gonna jog this.  That line kept getting farther and farther away.  Then I saw my hubby.  He had the sign in the first pic with him.  He ran out in his work boots and jogged with me.  He told me how proud he was of me.  I looked at him with 100 yards to go and said "I want to stop.  I want to stop right here.  I want to stop right here right now."  He laughed.  To which I replied "I'm not lying."  But I didn't stop.  I kept movin'.  My father and brother yelled.  I did a little hand motion.  My kids were clapping and yelling.

 
I'm hoping that my family was able to get a better pic of me than my hubby.  But I'll cut him slack.  He was running toward me carrying a big sign all while taking this pic.  I would like to think that there is a smile on my face..............  I crossed the line at 5:33 and change.  Well beyond my desired time.  But happy.  Even with the soreness, I didn't want to amputate my feet like last year. 


Medal around my neck.  Taking my chocolate mile, bottled water, and "baked potato" wrapper.  All I wanted to do was get out of here to my family.  Grab my sweatshirt.  And watch for my Momma.  No race talk.  No how did/do you feel.  Just watch for my Momma.  They changed the set-up this year and for the life of me, in the confused and dazed finish line state of mind, I couldn't get out and around to my family.  I finally realized that I had to walk down the street around the fencing and then about a block up to the end of the fence.  After 5+ hours of running .. this woman wasn't gonna try to scale any fences!


All three of us finished.  Slower than anticipated.  But we finished.  Finished always trumps DNS! 

 

       

 




No comments:

Post a Comment