Monday, October 1, 2012

Wineglass Marathon .... family wrap-up edition

What a weekend!  It had ups.  It had downs.  Heck, it had all arounds!  This is the "family wrap-up" edition today.  Friday, Momma and I, began our adventure.  If you think about it the adventure started the day we registered for the 31st Annual Wineglass Marathon.  We packed up the Grimm-Brereton family truckster and headed off to the Corning, NY area.  Arriving in style at my brothers home. 

On Saturday, September 29th .. the Wineglass committee held their first every Wineglass 5K.  My future sister-in-law was registered for the event.  I toyed with registering the same day but it was damp and kinda cold and that meant my knees would kill me on Sunday.  I couldn't have that.  No matter if she registered or not .. we were going to that 5K.  I wanted to see Joan Benoit Samuelson. 


Right there wearing all black, between the woman in purple and the lady in chartreuse (Joan Benoit Samuelson!), is Snowflake.  Seriously, she ran right beside the first woman's Olympic Marathon gold medalist!  OMG!  Talk about a once in a lifetime event!  I don't know if Snow realizes it but to me that is a big ole' honkin deal! 


Coming into the home stretch...........hey, you ain't gonna beat me! 


Did you hear what I said?  You ain't gonna pass me at the line! 


Finisher of the first ever Wineglass 5K ... Snowflake!  Well, of course, my brother had to get in there! 


She finished in 35:17 a new PR!  WAY TO GO SNOW!  

Now onto my brother!  If you are a regular reader of my blog or my Facebook page.  Well.  Then.  You.  Kinda.  Know.  That.  Why am I beating around the bush?!  That he is a pretty good strong natural runner.  At least in my book.  Last year in the Wineglass Marathon, his first ever, he pulled out like a 3:50 ish marathon time ... I think it was under that but didn't take the time to look it up!  LOL  As with everyone, he does have his struggles.  He has said that training is boring.  And well, yeah, it pretty much is!  But he had a time goal for this year...if I remember correctly...he was hoping to come in around 3:20.  He was going to follow the 3:20 pace group and if some thing didn't go well come in with the 3:30 group.   

Gagging right now!  I can only dream of any of those times!  I don't have the drive to work for that finish time.  His finish time was in the 4:03 area.  Way off his mark.  He said at around mile 5 he knew there was something wrong.  Way wrong.  If he didn't pull way back, well then, he might not cross the line.  For the first time in my brothers life, he did some thing that he has never ever done.  He walked.  It killed him to do it.  I could tell by his voice when he told us.  And well he'll just tell you straight up that he was majorly irritated by it.  Never stopped forward progress.  But not at all what he wanted. 


Here he comes into the finish!  Smiling while he does it.  Always smiling for pics! 

 
Heading toward the finish line!  Where a glass medal, warm clothes, hugs, and warm food await you!
I saw my brother this morning in a way that I've never seen him.  He was struggling to get around.  He was and is hurting.  He stated at breakfast "Even my back hurts.  I didn't have any of this last year."  It is a two edged sword...I'm kinda glad that he saw what some of us go through but I wish he would have made his mark....with all my heart! 

Now onto the tough one!  My Momma!  I'm crying all ready for goodness sakes.....this was rough!  She registered.  And has mentioned at that time this may be her only full ever.  A thing to check off the life list.  Over the past several months, she has trained.  She has trained.  She has trained.  She has trained.  She has trained.  She logged countless miles and hours on the treadmill in crappy weather.  She logged miles around the field in their yard.  We went here and there for runs.  She trained.  She tried protein bars.  She tried energy bars.  She tried every single this and that.  She wanted to be prepared.  In my opinion, she put more work into her Wineglass training that my brother or I. 

Her goal was to finish.  Her goal was to make the 6 hour cut listed on the Wineglass website.  She wanted that finisher medal.  I stood beside her at the start.  Asked her about my brothers projected finish time.  She had conversations with other first timers.  I looked at her and said "Good luck and don't forget to look for your signs.  You know they will be there screaming for you with them."  She just replied "I know."  They said start .... I never looked back at her again.  I crossed the finish line.  Maneuvered around to find my family .. that story comes tomorrow!  And headed to the street.  I stood on the side of the street with my daughter waiting.  Time ticked away.  Waiting.  Repeating to myself out loud "Come on Mom.  Come on Mom."  Looking back at the clock.  Watching it click away.  "Come on Grandma.  Come on Grandma."  Looking and watching the clock.  Looking for a blue shirt.  Only to see one after the other round that corner.  None of them with Mom/Grandma in it! 

The clock hit 6 hours.  I started crying.  She missed part of her goal.  Were they really gonna sweep the course at 6 hours?  I told my daughter "Grandma has to get that medal.  She just has too get it!"  Where is she at ran across my mind.  The clock kept running.  As long as the clock keeps running, there is hope!  Now, you see, I've never been a spectator before at a race.  It is nerve racking!  I have a new appreciation for my family.  It kept clicking away.  I kept repeating "Come on Grandma."  Over and over.  My daughter started to worry where she was.  A little boy beside us started to watch with us.  A group of people (finishers and their family) heard me repeat "Come on Grandma" and asked me "Are you waiting for your Grandmother?"  Now, if it was my Grandma that would be a feat!  I explained who it was and they walked a few yards of the street and waited for her.  The time kept clicking away...then there...a blue shirt...is it...yes...it is her blue shirt!  I know that movement.  I yelled!  My little impromptu support group started cheering also!  As she passed by she looked in pain.  She said "Oh yeah!  Sign me up for next year!"  Trust me sarcasm doesn't come across in print that well! 


She is smiling....well kinda!  It may just have been out of joy because it was over! 


Heading toward the finish!  She stated that at one point she just could not make her body even jog anymore.  But she never stopped forward progress.  Always walking.  Always moving.  Knowing that she was gonna finish.  Knowing that she was gonna cross that line!  She finished at 6:22 and change.  I felt like a Mother watching her child. 

 
The three marathon finishers.  I know there are others out there that can say it but you know what I'm pretty proud to say that we three Grimms competed in and finished a marathon together.  Some say we get our strength and bullheadedness from our father ... IDK ... how many 63 year old mothers decide to register for a marathon with her kids and do it?

I give a STANDING OVATION to all of the Wineglassers mentioned in todays blog ... STANDING OVATION to Snowflake Kicovic.  STANDING OVATION to Norm Grimm.  STANDING OVATION to Julie Grimm.  You all decided to put yourself out there by registering.  When you put your toe to the line you put your mind and body out there and that always deserves a big ole' STANDING OVATION!   

A BIG OLE' STANDING OVATION TO ALL THE WINEGLASS FINISHERS THIS WEEKEND!

And my story comes tomorrow...........................

1 comment:

  1. Congrats to all the Grimms but especially your mother. AMAZING! She may not want to do it again, but no one can ever take this one away from her.

    Can't wait to read your post tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete