Sunday, January 27, 2013

A little love .... Muscles and Killer

Some love today!  Wrestling season is here and on its way out the door as I write this.  Today was the last regularly scheduled meet for Muscles and Killer.  Yes, this is my first blogpost concerning them this year.  For those new to this neck of the woods .. last season .. well .. they were regular Sunday evening posts.  Trying to recreate each and every match.  This season was originally planned to be that way.  But I changed my mind.  I wanted to go into this season with a different mindset .. for myself. 

Let me start with Killer ......


Killer is #4.  My 7 year old first grade 60 pound little blue eyed girl. 

She really is a popcorn fart .... to us!

Killer.  Killer.  Killer. 

She loves going to practice each and every time.  She loves going to matches on Sundays.  She loves wrestling.  She is happy just being there.  There is no KILLER in her.  If she wins she is happy.  If she loses she is just as happy.  I don't get it at all.  She really does take after my husband in that respect.  As long as they have fun that is all that matters.  I want so much for her to do well.  We know from going to practices that she knows how to do each and every move.  But she really only has one move on Sundays .... the Turtle.  Once she gets on her back she is like a turtle.  That sounds mean .. I know.  There were two meets this season that she fought and fought with her little heart.  But the others I just didn't see it. 

I've never been one to think that girls are unable to beat boys.  TRUST ME!  But after watching this year, I really think that my daughters weight is playing a part.  There seems to be a strength difference in a 60 pound little boy and a 60 pound little girl.  Again another thing that I don't understand .. when you read about Muscles in a little bit it is wise to note that other than the male /female difference I was Muscles.  One of the coaches nicely said this season "She is a heavy little girl.  If she just went down to 50 or 55 pounds it might make a huge difference."  Just not really big on planting seeds in my little girls mind about her weight.  And when you continually practice with 35 to 40 lb partners how is that really helping her?  It isn't.  It is helping the smaller ones more.  But that is our fault and it won't happen again.  She really is the epitome of it's not whether you win or lose it is how you play the game.  My girl had fun!  And as long as she has fun ... I'm 100% fine with it. 

TRUTH ...  I hate that she is just a easy win for others but we'll work on that.  And whoever came up with it isn't whether you win or lose it is how you play the game crap .. well .. they were losers!  LOL  That is how I feel!  This is so hard for me!  I am so trying to break a cycle.  One day at a time.  

Now onto Muscles ......


Muscles is #3.  My 9 year old third grade 98 pound little blue eyed fella. 

(Sorry about the distance in his picture.  Every time that I would try to crop it said unable to edit and save...IDKW)

Muscles.  Muscles.  Muscles. 

He loves going to practice each and every time.  He loves going to matches every Sunday.  He loves wrestling.  If he wins he is happy.  If he loses he is pi$$ed off.  I so totally get it!  This is my kid.  I mentioned earlier about breaking a cycle.  This is where it is so hard.  A lot of people see my boy get beat and get angry.  Sometimes even cry.  Hang his head.  Not really listening to the good jobs, etc.  Some have looked at it as weakness or poor sportsmanship.  It is neither.  I understand it fully.

His feelings are not hurt.  He is not angry or upset at others.  He is upset with himself.  Muscles expects a great deal from himself.  In every single thing that he does.  He wants to do the very best that he can each and every single time.  No exceptions.  And when he does not .. he does not hide his disappointment well.  He is 9 years old.  He has a long way to go.  I love Muscles but due to our very strong "likenesses" .. this kid can drive me bat crap crazy in seconds.   

He went out planning to just use his strength to get by.  We watched him take this pretty rough learning season and do just that with it.  Learn.  He has been trash talked.  He has been rolled up and put in a few positions that I really didn't think his body could do.  He has also learned that it is time for a little bit of technique to kick in.  He started listening to a few coaches at meets when they yell stuff. 

I will never ever never ever be able to have him to believe it isn't whether you win or lose it is how you play the game.  I don't believe it! 

We came.  We went.  We enjoyed the season.  Taking the good with the bad.  There was more bad than anything.  Learning that every bruise is a badge of honor ... whether it be on your knee, ego, or in your mind. 

Both of them are planning to partake in season #3 in the fall of 2013. 

And I'll be there sitting in the stands for hours waiting to see them wrestle for 8 minutes tops.  All in hopes of seeing their hands raised in victory.  Isn't that what mommas do?! 

But first we have basketball, tball, track, and football. 

Go Muscles and Killer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment