Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Apple Pie Steel Cut Oats in crock pot

Thought that there was a blog post already for this one but when I looked back .. no.  Just for the maple and brown sugar ones.  I really like these.  Throw together.  Let cook overnight.  Having 4 to 5 servings prepared.  And they taste great! 
 

++++ I really wanted to insert a picture here but Blogspot is not cooperating this morning.  It will not provide me with the opportunity to upload my picture!  UGH!  Look for it on my facebook page! 


The recipe is pretty easy ......

3/4 cup STEEL CUT oats
1/2 cup milk
      (the original calls for half/half we do not purchase this so I 1% milk we have)
2 tbsp brown sugar
      (calls for dark brown .. I use homemade that we have on hand)
1/2 cup natural no sugar added applesauce
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups water

Put all of it in a glass bowl/container.  Leaving about two inches or more from the top of the glass bowl.  Will increase in volume.  Place bowl/container in crock pot.  Surround container with water .. at least to the level of mixture.  Put on lid.  Turn on low.  Let cook overnight...around 6 hours or more. 

You can top with chopped apples, walnuts, pecans, a little vanilla greek yogurt.  Very filling.  I actually like it reheated better.  Seems to be "meatier".  I normally throw in a bowl in the oven while preparing the kiddos breakfast ..... I eat breakfast with them every morning.  This recipe will make 4 to 5 servings depending on your serving size.  I get five 1 cup servings from it.  This time around I added a little chopped apple before cooking.  Of course, I had to stir it up before eating as the apples rise to the top.   

I do recommend that you purchase a cheaper version of STEEL CUT oats to try first.  I do know some that don't like them.  Depending on the brand they can cost up to $7.99 for a small bag of them.  I know that won't break the bank but pick up a cheaper version at a discount store to try just in case you don't like them.  I hate to waste money!  If you like them THEN try different brands. 

Let me know if you give them a shot!     
     





No comments:

Post a Comment