Monday, January 7, 2013

Vegetarian? Flexatarian? Pescetarian? Jenetarian?

Who knew there were so many labels?  Really?  You eat meat .. carnivore.  Don't eat meat .. vegetarian.  No animal products .. vegan.  Those are the labels that I knew about.  I've spend the greater part of my life being a carnivore.  Seriously, who doesn't like a big ole' thick cut Porterhouse grilled to slightly medium topped with grilled mushrooms and onions with steak sauce on the side.  The smell.  The visual.  The almost taste of it.  Ahhhhhhh.....................

My family was your typical meat and potatoes family.  We consumed family meals when Dad was home and the other days it was a little less regimented.  Especially as we got older.  Dad loves meat.  My brother consumes mainly meat and now .. in my opinion .. suffers from a small bit from that.  Momma could give or take.  When my hubby and I started to "cohabitate" the same type of meals were made.  There was a time for a great number of years, prior to children, that we would purchase a 1/2 beef for our freezer. 

Now remember, this is a 1/2 beef for two people.  Didn't see much wrong with it.  Now don't get me wrong!  We still consumed veggies.  But a whole heck of a lot of meat.  Kiddos consumed whatever I made.  Enter my "lifestyle change".  Things changed.  More chicken.  More fish.  More veggies.  Enter the library.  Reading countless books on nutrition.  The state of our food industry.  Antibiotics.  Treatment of animals.  And the list could go on. 

Slowly but surely meat ventured out of the picture.  Now honestly, a good portion of our meals are meatless.  I did purchase "fake meat products" .. Morningstar, Boca, etc.  Then I just started making my own burgers from beans and veggies.  Why not?  Cheaper and I know what is actually in them.  I like that.  The kiddos love coming up with different things to try.  Garbanzo beans and broccoli.  Black beans and carrots.  You name it.  They throw it in the food processor.  I stopped eating pork products first.  Then no real hamburger...blah. 

I can't tell you the last time I had a big ole' thick cut Porterhouse grilled to slightly medium topped with grilled mushrooms and onions with steak sauce on the side.  Honestly, the thought doesn't even appeal to me anymore.  I'm in no way judging anyone for their choices.  I have been thinking about going on an extended period of time with out actually consuming any meat of any kind.  Starting with a 30 day stretch.  I started looking around.  Never did I realize there were so many labels. 

The three that stuck out to me were ....
 
Pescetarian ... includes fish in their diets
 
Lacto-ovo-vegetarian ... eats both eggs and dairy products
 
Flexatarian ... mainly eats vegetarian food but will occasionally make exceptions

I have no intention of giving up dairy products.  Sorry but the occasional vanilla greek yogurt is pretty yummy.  Cottage cheese every so often with fruit for breakfast is a change of pace from oatmeal.  And sometimes a glass of cold milk is good.  I also like to eat fish.  Maybe I'm resistant to giving it up because there are two bags of large shrimp in the freezer just waiting to be dipped in cocktail sauce.  Sorry!  That is my big ole' thick cut Porterhouse grilled to slightly medium topped with grilled mushrooms and onions with steak sauce on the side.  But I have no intention of consuming beef, pork, chicken, or turkey. 

I may have mislabeled my adventure on my facebook page earlier by saying vegetarian.  I don't 100% fit into any of the categories.  So, if I have to label my 30 day adventure ... well ... we will call it ... "Jenatarian".  Guess that works.  I'm not really a "label" kinda girl.  Come on follow along.  I plan to hit up some new recipes. Hopefully they are winners and will be shared.  Heck, I'll share if they suck.  LOL

If you have any to share, please do.  I'm always looking to try new and different things.  And lord knows my family is pretty darn adventurous!  And if you want to give it a shot for the next 30 days with me.  Let me know!  We can support one another! 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment