Friday, January 11, 2013

So crucify me ....

This week alone we've had a meal with shrimp cocktail, another with broiled chicken (which I did not consume), steamed veggies out the wazoo, baked potatoes (white & sweet) .... the list could go on.    You've seen pictures of my kids lunches a few times this week.  I do make cookies and granola bars but with organic ingredients.  I am aware that mixing quality items together can still make "crap".  Our favorite go to snack is popcorn.  Yes .. we air pop it.  Put on real butter.  And use a little flavored Kernel Seasons seasoning on it. 

We have candy on top of the refrigerator from Halloween .. threw the Easter stuff out to fill with said Halloween candy.  I just threw all the Christmas chocolates in a freezer bag and tossed them in.  We have one cupboard of "crap" .. exp. Whales, a package of those little pretzels with cheese dip (bleck), and well hell the rest of the contents are not really bad.  There are no potato chips.  No Doritos.  No pop tarts.  No Nutter Butters.  No Oreos.  No regular store bought cookies.  No fruitees.  No jello cups.  No pudding cups.   

Beverage wise we drink a TON of water.  All four of us drink a TON of water.  Usually not flavored.  Unsweetened or very lightly sweetened tea is also always in there.  Occasionally there is Gatorade or Powerade.  We don't consume wine.  My hubby may have a can of "frothy beverage" in the refrigerator more than I care for.  There are no juice boxes.  No bottles of pop.  No cans of pop.  Always 1% milk.  Occasionally orange juice. 

My freezer is loaded with the contents of my summer garden.  Cabbage rolls.  Numerous deer.  Two turkeys.  Several whole chickens.  Packages of drumsticks.  Several pieces of slab bacon.  Homemade freezer jam.  Containers of veggie, chicken, and beef broth.  Zucchini bread.  Frozen gallon bags of homemade veggie soup, tomato soup, white chili, regular chili, and soup beans.  No popsicles .. well we do make homemade ones.  No ice cream.  No frozen pizzas.  No frozen store bought dinners of any type.

Honestly and truthfully ... 90% of the time we consume wholesome good quality food.   

So there are times when I say "Screw It".  And let my family have a free for all.  Today was one of them.

                                                     Option A.  subs and chips/veggies
                                                     Option B.  pizza                   

One of my "readers" had pizza earlier in the week and it sounded yummy.  I was pulling for pizza but options are always nice.  Could I make pizza?  Yes.  Did I want to whip up homemade pizza?  No.  Could we do subs at home?  Yeppers!  Made them a hundred times.  Did we want to?  Nope.  After a short deliberation period my three kiddos (Muscles, Killer, and Hubby) made a decision.  Here is dinner for this evening .....



Are we gonna change our "lifestyle" because of one meal?  No.  Are we gonna die?  No.  Do we feel bad?  No.  Are we gonna feel bad?  No.  Well maybe ... I've already got indigestion.  Not everyone "feasted" on all the above.  Muscles drank some Diet Sunkist.  He said it tasted "Heavenly".  Killer and myself drank some Diet Cherry 7Up.  I have burped for over an hour from one glass.  Hubby drank himself some water.  The Grandma Shearers sour cream and onion chips were down right spectacular.  Yes, 95% of the bag is on top of our refrigerator along with the Utz salt n' vinegar chips.  I'll end up throwing the Grandma Shearers away in about a week.  Hubby and Muscles will eat the Utz.  And there is some hull-less popcorn in there that Killer wanted.  It will become bird food in about a week.  Subs of choice were from out local convenient store.  Could we drive to Subway for healthier options?  Yes.  Did we want to?  No.  They choose turkey, swiss on 2, american on 1, lettuce, tomato, banana peppers, onions, and we added our own mayo.

So crucify me .....



  

No comments:

Post a Comment