Saturday, November 10, 2012

JJ Patsey Memorial 5K

Good evening!  Today was the first annual JJ Patsey Memorial 5K.  JJ Patsey was a young man that passed away from Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma on November 8, 1989 at the age of thirteen.  For the past 22 years, a scholarship has been awarded to a Lisbon graduating senior who plans to pursue a career in the field of medicine.  This young man was few years ahead of my brother in school and his father was a guidance counselor/vice principal at Southern Local schools where I attended ... back in the day.  His father has always been a runner and JJ was an athlete.  This race was started in his honor and they plan to run it yearly at the beginning of November.   

Upon hearing about this event, I knew it had to be a family affair.  Plus, not to lie or lighten things but registration was made for families.  The first participant was $13.00 and any remaining family members that competed were $5.00.  So, I quickly asked the Brereton clan if they were interested.  Hubby .. check.  Muscles .. check.  Killer .. check.  Forms were completed.  Check was made out.  Stamp was attached.  And off it went! 

Our plan going in was for my hubby to run with Muscles.  I would take care of Killer.  I deal with her complaining a little better than Daddy does.  LOL  Which meant that there were NO TIME PLANS FOR ME!  Then on Tuesday of this week, Killer informed me that she did not want to run.  I didn't give in easily but I wasn't going to argue.  She knows if she is ready and it was only $5.00 for a worthy cause.  And after running today ... I am so thankful that she didn't go for it.

On Friday evening, at wrestling practice, my son hurt his leg.  We kind of blew it off.  But now I'm wishing that we wouldn't have.  He was gimpy last night .. thought it would get better for this morning.  He was gimpy this morning .. said it didn't feel any better but wanted to go and run.  After a quick "parent meeting" .. we let him.  Never really getting a good feel for what part of his leg was hurting.

I set out to run a nice easy race and just enjoy myself.  Seriously!  I just wanted to see Muscles come across the line.  He had a time goal that he wanted.  Honestly, he wanted to beat Snows (my brothers fiance) Wineglass 5K time.  I know he can do it.  But it wasn't gonna happen today.  Maybe on Thanksgiving.   

RUNNER PICTURE! 


Start.  Not bad for a first time....several running groups and X-country teams

My cousin, Kristy starting her race.  Along side her is her friend, Dana. 


This was taken right before entering the football stadium to finish.  I wasn't really waving at the camera.  As I rounded the corner ... Hadley started crying.  I was yelling .. "As long as the bone isn't showing, you are just fine!"  I sat out for an easy little jaunt.  No time thoughts what so ever.  I didn't stretch a whole lot and after yesterdays Crossfit workout .. well .. my hamstrings and butt were hurting.  The race was off.  My Garmin battery died at the start line....this is becoming an issue.  As I passed my Momma and daughter it was tossed off to them.  No use wearing it if it doesn't work! 

At each mile, well 1 & 2, there was a timer spouting off times as you crossed.  We shot down the hill, through the square, and up a back street.  I knew my pace was faster than normal.  Honestly, I felt like I had a real stride.  As I ran by .. and no one else was around .. the timer looked at me and said 9:04.  WHAT!  WHAT!  WHAT!  I shockingly said "Are you sure?!"  To which she replied "100%".  New mile PR.  I had a quick thought of slowing down.  Even though I had no preset time goal .. once I was on my own .. 10:15 to 10:30 was what I wanted per mile.  But I felt good.  I kept at it. 

We rounded onto the Greenway Bike Trail.  A lot of it is in the shade.  It was wet.  Portions covered in leaves.  And there is a little mossy growth.  With one step...my front foot slid out in front of me.  My right knee extended.  UGH!  But I recovered .. basically felling like an ice skater but worried that I looked like an idiot!  As we rounded a quick turn around 1 3/4 miles, I thought about my guys.  I knew there was an approximate 200 yard section that I would be able to view them in....if they were there.  I turned the corner.  Ran 1/2 way up the hill.  And started to look.  Nowhere in sight.  I wanted to cheer for my little guy.  I made a Mommy decision and stopped running.  Heck, I stopped walking.  I waited. 

One minute.  Two minutes.  Three minutes.  Four minutes....these times are not exact.  It truly felt like 10 minutes!  There is an orange shirt.  Please let this be my hubby.  20 seconds.  30 seconds.  I started jogging again.  Yep.  There they were.  I yelled loudly for my little guy.  He just waved.  My hubby told me that Muscles was hurting.  I knew hills were coming.  That was the only way to get back to the finish line.  I told him to keep up the good work and that I would be waiting at the finish line.  Off I went!  Mile 2 ... 24:20 .. told you that I stopped dead.  Yes, I am aware that is a 15:00 mile.  All for my fellas .. well really one.  From here on out was basically an uphill run.  A few slight downhills but mainly uphill to the finish line at the football field. 


And here I am crossing the finish line in 33:50 something .. I don't remember.  And honestly, I will not believe the "official results" when they put them up.  Long story..........  Grabbed my coat.  Picked up an apple and water.  Waiting patiently for my fellas........time is clicking by.  Then here they come around the corner.  Yes, my hubby is holding his hand.  John told me that Muscles was really hurting.  I ran out to tell him good job.  He had tears in his eyes.  Maybe just maybe the "parent meeting" made the wrong decision.  But this close to the finish .. he wasn't gonna stop. 

Hubby and Muscles

You can do it Muscles....catch Daddy.  He looked at me here and said "I didn't beat Snow.  But I will next time." 


He didn't hurt bad enough to not pass up Daddy at the finish line.  They crossed at 44:09 and 44:11.  Muscles time was 7 minutes slower than his last.  The hills did nothing for his leg.  He really fights telling us what is wrong for some reason.  After much prodding .. he finally told me that it is his Achilles tendon area on his leg that hurts.  UGH!  Since Grandma opted out this time she was put in charge of Killer.  They became the official support staff.  Coats.  Timer.  Sign holders.  Cheerleaders.  You name it and they did it. 

Support Staff .. Killer and Grandma! 
My cousins son after finishing ... she didn't get a picture of his sister.  Ssshhhh don't tell her! 

My cousin and her friend finishing. 

Apparently during this race Killer and Grandma had a good conversation.  They made a deal to compete in this race next year.  Pretty sure they even have a bet.  At least Killer said they did. 


Just a Brereton family affair! 

The family that stays active together ... usually stays healthy together. 

Just happy to know that I'm setting a good example for my kiddos! 
Isn't that what it is all about?!



No comments:

Post a Comment