Thursday, November 1, 2012

Good fuel .... Roasted Beets!

What a seamless transition!  Candy and cookies last night.  Roasted beets tonight. 

Okay, every single one of us has a love of beets.  You either love to eat them OR you love to hate them.  Seriously, I don't know one person that has ever said "Well, I kinda like beets."  It is either love or hate with the purple/pink little things!  I personally LOVE beets.  Will admit to consuming pickled beets regularly.  I have canned them for the past 14 years using my Grandmas recipe.  It is the best!  I get compliments all the time on it.  And have been asked many times for the recipe. 

I know people that just boil, clean, and eat.  That just never sounded appetizing.  But I had read many times about roasted beets.  People using them on salads.  As main dishes.  As side dishes.  I kept my eye out for some quality beets.  I'm kinda picky about them.  Wanted nice firm hard beet.  Finally coming across some at the flea market that I frequent. 

I looked up many recipes.  All had their little "quirks" to try.  I did my own type of thing.  Most call for you to scrub and clean off the stem and root.  Bake at ____ degrees.  Then easily peel the skin from them.  Well, I don't play that game.  Having dealt with beets for years .. I treat them like a potato.  I washed them off.  Then I use/used a potato peeler to clean them.  Yes, the skins come off easily the other way but I'm not a fan of messing with hot purple items that can and normally do stain ones hands.  Been there.  Done that.  I highly recommend using plastic gloves.  Just in case you missed it .. they can and will stain your hands if you do a lot of them

So, I peeled them.  Made an aluminum foil pouch and placed the beets in it.  Drizzled with EVOO .... very little.  Sprinkled with salt and pepper.  And placed them in a 375 degree oven.  The time is 100% dependent on the size of your beets.  I had two larger beets that were time consuming!  You want a fork to easily go into the beet. 



These were FABULOUS!  WONDERFUL!  SPECTACULAR!  Needless to say ... I LOVED THEM!  I had a little one early on.  I knew it wouldn't take long to cook.  It was spectacular and was really hoping they would all turn out that way.  I was not disappointed!  The following pic is probably the best salad that I've ever made.  I know that sounds strange.  Warm roasted beets, blue cheese, sunflower seeds, romaine lettuce, and drizzled a little french dressing.  OMG!  It was heaven!  See the steam coming off the beets?!




If you like beets, I highly recommend you play around with them this way.  I cut up the extra and placed in the fridge for future use.  I might just pop in the oven for a little bit to heat back up.  Next time around, I plan to cube the beets.  That will really cut down on bake time.  I might like good fuel.  I might not mind spending a good deal of time on it.  But if you can find a quicker way .. some of the time it is all good! 

Let me know if you give it a try!   

No comments:

Post a Comment