Friday, November 9, 2012

Ohhhh ... Roasted Brussel Sprouts


As quite a few of your are aware, I head off to the flea market on Friday mornings in search of fresh veggies.  As with every fall season, brussels sprouts are in full force.  Now, I am aware these are another love or hate veggie.  I love them.  The kiddos like them.  And my husband really will eat just about anything. 

Normally, I steam or boil them until just soft enough.  We don't care for mushy sprouts!  BLECH!  But I've been reading about people roasting them.  Thought that we would give them a try.  After looking up several recipes, I quickly realized that 99% of them are the same.  It is just what you sprinkle them with that might differ. 

I found a roasted brussels sprout and onions recipe in a Weight Watcher magazine that just came out.  Sounded easy peasy.  So, it was on tap for last nights dinner.  Here is the recipe ....

ROASTED BRUSSELs SPROUTS AND ONIONS

Prep 20 minutes, Roast 30 minutes, Serves 8

Preheat oven to 375*. Spray large rimmed baking pan with nonstick spray.  Mix 1 lb. trimmed and halved fresh brussel sprouts, 1 lb peeled fresh pearl onions, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, and 1/4 tsp nutmeg.  Put veggies on pan.  Roast for 10 minutes.  Add 1/4 cup sliced almonds; roast until tender, 20 minutes. 

Per serving ... 1/2 cup .... 77 calories and 4 grams fat. 

Hate onions ... use 2 pounds brussel sprouts and 1/4 cup chopped pecans. 

So, I went to work.  I thought these would make a great companion to roasted brussel sprouts and mashed cauliflower.  The top pic is my cleaned and split brussel sprouts.  The hubby and I will eat the onions but the kiddos it depends on the day.  So, I opted to leave them out of the equation today.  I did the olive oil, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.  Popped them babies in the oven.  And the wait began.  After 30 minutes they were nice enough for a fork to slide into them.  Here is what they looked like upon removal. 



As I prepped everyones plates .. well .. I'll admit to popping one in my mouth.  They smelled great! 

After realizing that I should have let it cool down just a little while longer, the chewing began.  As I stood there with that sprout in my mouth a thought ran across my mind .... WHERE IN THE HECK CAN I SPIT THIS THING OUT?  I quickly looked for a place to deposit my sprout.  Thank goodness the scrap bowl was sitting there.  I quickly removed the sprouts from everyones plate.  And went to work on another side dish.  One of the changes I've made along the way in my journey is don't eat something that you don't like. 

Sorry!  But I should have made the title ... How to ruin brussel sprouts! 

My hubby and daughter tried them.  Hubby said "eah".  Daughter reported "they're not that bad."  Not sure I'll give it another shot.  If I do this recipe will not be used.  If you decide to be adventurous .... let me know how it went. 

No comments:

Post a Comment