Sunday, November 18, 2012

White Chili?

Yeah, this is probably an item that each and every single one of you have tried.  But surprisingly today was a first for the Brereton clan.  If I had to give it another name it would be "Glorified Soup Beans".  The kiddos wanted a different "soup" type dinner this weekend.  And they both love bean soups.  You name and these two will eat it.  I remembered that we had some ground chicken in the freezer.  I always have an assortment of dried beans.  I read a few recipes and thought well this is pretty darn easy.  Not rocket science by any stretch of the imagination.  And I've made regular chili more times that I can count. 

I set out with two pounds of Great Northern Beans.  Rinsed and cooked them until they were soft.  I browned the ground chicken with a little crushed garlic clove and sliced green onions.  Added that to the pot.  The kiddos wanted a few potatoes in it.  I put them in.  Peeled and cubed about 5 or 6 of them.  They also thought a little corn, grated carrot, and sliced celery sounded good.  What the heck?!  I added it.  Once all of the ingredients were in the pot, I covered with water and one box of Natures Basket Organic chicken stock.  Along with some salt and pepper!  Cook away! 

We were to have this last night for dinner but with me being gone all day...well...nothing was done to it other than continue to be heated.  It tasted pretty darn good as is.  But I added a little more chicken stock and celery.  Cook.  Cook.  Cook.  We placed it in our bowls and here is a picture .....




The kiddos thought that grated cheese sounded good as a topping.  I also added a little chopped green onions.  They loved it.  Hubby loved it.  Will be on the menu again.  This really could be done in many variations!  Easily could be done in the crock-pot.  And will try next time with out the potatoes.  I use potatoes in my regular chili sometimes.  It is just some a thing that my Dad always did and he said they ate growing up.  Someone once, rudely, commented that it must have come about from having 8 kids and not enough money to feed them.  Had to make it spread around is what they said about my fathers family.  This person was never invited back for dinner.  Was it my Grandmothers fault that her husband passed away?  I think not.  And I seriously doubt that was the reason for the usage of potatoes!

But that is a story for another day!  If you are a soup lover, by all means, give this one a try.  Served up with a little beer bread today.  But corn muffins would be excellent also.  Going to freeze the leftovers for later in the season.  I see this as a wonderful meal after coming home from the kiddos wrestling matches!  Dropped in the crock pot before we leave.  All ready for consumption when we return. 

No comments:

Post a Comment