Sunday, February 12, 2012

Changes to our Run for Sherry

Hello!  Yesterday was the virtual "Run for Sherry".  I had planned for a little while that we would go out as a family for this 3 mile run.  I knew with the kids that it would turn into a walk/jog/skip/run/complain type thing but it was what I wanted.  The plan was after our morning appointments and basketball we would hit a three mile route over at our local lake around 11:30 am. 

This is what it looked like outside at 11:45 am at our home......


and then this at 11:46 am.....


It went pretty much back and forth like that for HOURS.  I mean HOURS.  Now I am a pretty brave soul.  And I have braved a pretty cold run before.  But I just didnt' want my kids out there.  The wind chills were in the single digits.  It always feels cooler by the lake.  And I was figuring about 40 to 45 minutes on a good day so this was going to take longer.  I came up with another plan!  We would hit the treadmill.  This is how I planned for it to work.  I would do 3 miles.  Our kids could do 1 1/2 miles each ... they get bored on the treadmill, really who doesn't?  And then my hubby could do 3 miles. 

Unfortunately, no one else was really keen on this idea.  Do you see how quickly my plans were garbaged?  I wasn't going to let it stop me.  I jumped on the treadmill.  Went about 1 1/2 miles.  As I stared out the window one thought kept running across my mind.....Why don't you go outside?  I promptly jumped off, doned my cold weather gear, and headed out side.  I have not ran outside alone since I heard about Sherry Arnold and her disappearance.  This story really bothers me.  I ran alone.  I ran alone in some pretty secluded areas.  I ran alone in some pretty secluded rural areas.  I ran alone in on some pretty long runs.  I do always have my phone and my trusty pepper spray.  But as I stood in my driveway ready to go...I was apprehensive.  My husband told me just to run up to the drive-thru where my father was and back.  But I was apprehensive.  I decided to do loops from our home around the bus garage and back.  My husband told me that I would be okay. 

I went on my little jaunt.....


And it was dang cold out!  I had passerbys honk.  Look in amazement.  And point but I went out.  And you know what ... it felt great to be out there.  I put in my 3 miles for Sherry.  Now, I must work on getting out there again.  By myself.  On the road.  I'll get back out there and join the running community.  It really is a community of sorts.  One that I'm proud to say I'm part of.  I'll start with the 2 mile up and back to the drive-thru....someone from my family (immediate/extended) is always there.  Plus it willl make my Momma happy that Daddy can see me at the 1/2 way point......

No comments:

Post a Comment