Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Just some random thoughts about eating natural, organic, or whatever you want to call it!

  Dang is that a long title!  It has been a year since we started our slow descent into the "underworld" of organic and naturals.  You would think it is the strangest thing when talking to some people.  Here are just a few of the things that I've noticed ........

1.  I spend more time cooking.  I love to cook.  I have always spent a lot of time in the kitchen.  But now it is even longer.  Making everything from granola bars to all of our meals from scratch as possible.  All of this is fine with me.  It gives me some strange type of satisfaction knowing the amount of time and love I've put into my families food.  I find it somewhat relaxing.....now the dishes suck!   

2.  I don't spend much time "hunting for the deals" or couponing.  Reality is there are no coupons for 99% of the products that I purchase.  Kinda nice not reading sales ads!   

3.  You know that lady who is in the way because she is reading a label.  That is ME! 

4.  Honestly, I thought our grocery bills would be higher.  But I've found that I don't shop nearly as much.  The food is much more filling!  There is no snacking.  No cravings.  No blood sugar rushes.  I have read that "crap" in manufactured food is addictive.  Just read The End of Overeating.  Heck, I've got a whole list of book titles I could give you! 

5.  I like that our food tastes the way it should.  It can't sit on a shelf for weeks, months, or years.  It will go bad.  As all food should. 

I could try and talk you into coming to the "underworld" with me.  But I won't.  Just think about it.  There are times that I can't pass up on a good deal.  I will admit that cost savings trumps sometimes.  But all in all ... we like our nutritional choices.  So next time you are at the grocery store think of this..


No comments:

Post a Comment