Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Focus and don't give up!

Since today is the first day of February, I thought it a good idea to share a "promise" that I found.  Train-eat-sleep.tumblr.com has a monthly promise "poster".  I love them.  What they say doesn't necessarily pertain just to our bodies.  Here is the February Promise......




One of the biggest things in life is being happy with ourselves.  The reality is if we don't like ourselves how can we expect others to like us.  The part of the promise that spoke to me was ... I will focus on what I want...not what I don't want.  And I will not give up on myself.  All to often we give up pretty early.  I vow to not give up on myself.  Heck, I don't give up on others very easily!  I believe there is a winner in all of us.  And that we all deserve the best!  Look at the promise again.  Read it.  Study it.  What speaks to you?  What moves you?  Log that deep in your brain and remember it.  Live by it! 

Today, my schedule said a two mile run along with P90X back & biceps.  Don't you just love a back and bicep workout?  Really?  Afterwards a quick two was done.  Started with a 1/2 mile waking warm up, 2 mile run (20 mins. 13 seconds), and a 1/2 mile walking cool down.  Did my body really want to do that 2 miles in 20 minutes?  NO!  But my mind did.  I wanted to give up at one point and slow down.  But you know what?  I thought about what my "boyfriend" says ... Some times people give up too early.  You get what you want when you push yourself.  Now that may not be verbatim but you get the jest.  I really want to see a difference at the end of this month.  And I plan to work my a@@ off to get it.  If that means pushing.  Then I PUSH! 

Tonight was a Mexican night here in the Brereton household.  Tacos were in order.  Normally, I purchase a packet of taco seasoning for the meat and end up with heartburn!  Not today.  I made my own taco seasoning.  And it was great!  Here is the recipe.....

Taco Seasoning

1 tbsp chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp cumin
salt & pepper

Mixed into 1 lb. ground meat.  Now if you are looking for the type of taco filling that is "sloppy" like sloppy joes this isn't it.  It was more a dry filling.  I'm sure you could add a little tomato sauce at the end to make it a little more "sloppy".  What I really like is the fact that you control the seasoning.  We like a little spicier items so I can just add a little more chili powder.  Actually, I added ground red pepper.  And the best part.....no heartburn!  YIPPEE!  The kiddos loved it. 

Also, I made my own tortilla strips.  I purchase whole wheat tortillas to make wraps, burritos, pizzas, etc. with.  So, I thought why not just cut them into strips and bake.  I looked at some recipes and they all called for brushing with butter and seasoning but I didn't want that. I just left them plain.  Oven at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, one layer on the pan.  My son said they were the best chips we've had here.  Now, we may try flavoring them for the Super Bowl but I plan to spray lightly with Olive Oil instead of butter. 

Give them a try and let me know what you think!   

No comments:

Post a Comment