Saturday, September 8, 2012

Montour Trail 1/2 Marathon .....

Disclaimer .... the following is going to contain not only a recap of actual events from today but also the thoughts that I had about my race experience.  You may not agree with my insights but they are strictly about MY race. 




Now don't you just love a read that starts with a disclaimer?!  Today I ran in the Montour Trail 1/2 Marathon.  When I signed up for this race there were no expectations or plans for it.  I just signed up knowing that it would somewhat fit into my marathon training plan.  My alarm was set for 5 am.  I was awoken at 4:45 am by a massive lightening strike and the thunder that followed.  Honestly, it wouldn't be a race day for me if there was no rain.  After getting ready and eating my breakfast, I was out the door by 5:40 am.  It takes roughly an hour from my house to get to the race sight and I had not picked up my packet early.  First time for that .. I rolled the dice.

When I arrived there were about 50 cars in the parking lot.  I quickly jumped in line.  Found my bib number and picked up my packet.  Then headed back to the car to get ready.  And had the fun of watching the waves of people checking in.  I was 100% completely on my own .. no support staff, no Momma.  ALONE!  First time being alone.  Also, I went with no tunes!  First time for that also.  I choose not to wear my Garmin and wore a digital watch instead.  Truthfully this was a mistake.  That will be brought up later on!  I had no intention of viewing my Garmin or watch until the turn around at the 1/2 way point. 

We milled around and then it was time.  The start was delayed for a few minutes due to the large number of people waiting at the port-o-potties.  Only about 5 minutes.  I placed myself in the back with the thought of just running the race.  I had toyed with going all out but decided against that.  We headed out the parking lot and down the hill (3/4 mile long) and then finally to the trail.  The course was out and back.  BUT it ended before the hill.  The trail is a crushed limestone surface.  More like sand consistency.  Admittedly, the first three miles of any run/race for me suck!  Truthfully, I want to stop about every 50 yards.  IDK why?  It is what it is.  I don't stop but I really want to. 

I kinda bobbed and weaved around then found a little rhythm.  I came upon a group of 4 people running together and for some reason found myself just hanging with the pack.  We would move around but the little group kinda stayed together.  Around mile 5, I came to the realization we were moving really slow but I was sticking with not looking at my watch.  I CAN BECOME OBSESSED WITH WHAT IT SAYS!  I pulled a little ahead of them.   

Next thing I know it was the turn.  I made the turn and looked at my watch.  I had the same thought as I did seeing my before picture.  "OH HELL NO!"  Everyone looked at me.  I then realized that I proclaimed that out loud very loudly.  My watch read 1:26 and change.  Does the change really matter?  Seriously, 1:26!  WTH!  That time blows.  I knew the pace was slow but not turtle for goodness sakes.  I was so pissed at myself.  How in the world did I let this happen?  Now, I've admitted recently to being in not the best state of mind when it comes to running and sabotaging myself  BUT not that!  I slapped myself in the thighs a few times and realized my ass needed to get going. 

Then I thought of something.  I heard a little voice in my ear.  "Gotta push yourself to change yourself and get stronger".  Might that sound familiar to anyone out there.  I heard, in her assigned voice in my head, MomSwimBikeRun say that.  Over and over.  I kicked my ass in gear!  Off I went.  Down the trail picking people off.  Then it started to rain.  Rain is an understatement.  Put your clothes on and shoes.  Now stand in your shower.  Turn it on.  That is close.  Sheets.  Inches.  Wind.  My hat was pulled down to my eyebrows.  I was stepping in puddles that were deeper than my shoes!  You couldn't avoid it in some spots.  I just kept going.

My thought was .. it isn't 40 degrees out like in the Wineglass Marathon!  There was a couple that I came upon and we kinda played "tag" for the rest of the race.  Nice people!  I new as the miles went by I wanted that Garmin on my wrist.  These miles were at a much speedier pace.  At one of the road crossings, there were a few race officials and a police officer.  One of the them said as I ran by "Someone was dogging the first half of the race."  To which I respond "Yep and I'm done with it!".  Now during the second half, I did allow myself to walk through the aid stations.  I take three drinks and then go.  Every single time I hit the second drink I would hear ... gotta push yourself to change and get stronger.  The rain finally stopped.  Dang was I wet!  Every single inch of me was wet.  I had limestone "dust" from my ankles to my butt cheeks.

Under my right arm was rubbed raw from the wet fabric.  It hurts like CRAZY!  All I could think of was the school bus at the end taking me back to my car.  Now I hadn't viewed my watch since the turn around.  My thought was at the line.  I crossed the line with the couple.  Hit my watch and it read 2:37 and change.  Now, I'm not ecstatic about the 2:37.  Seriously, I own what I did today.  I earned that time.  But if you examine it then it means I covered the second half in 1:11 and change.  That I am not upset with.  Not doing cartwheels over it but not upset.  I feel great.  No muscle soreness at all.  So I know that I was dogging it.  My right knee is kinda tight but that is partly the weather.     

Now, I really enjoyed the course.  Could have done without the rain!  For the price ($35.00) and distance from my home,  I will run it again.  It was very well organized.  Tons of staff.  Aid stations were spot on.  Volunteers/officials everywhere on the course.  I look at today as somewhat of a success.  My mind was in a good place.  I was able to turn myself around and get my ass in gear.  Now, I know there is a ton of work to do from here on out.  I'm ready, willing, and able to put it in!

Well once my shoes dry out!    
 
 
 



   

     

1 comment:

  1. AWESOME blog post! I feel so honored and teared up a bit that you were hearing my voice in your head. Wish I could have been there with you today. GREAT job doing in the downpour. You're a tough cookie. You know what? You did get stronger today!!!!

    ReplyDelete