Sunday, September 16, 2012

Weight sled 101

Good evening!  Here we are on this fine Sunday.  Over the past few weeks, I've decided that come October some big changes are headed to my little world.  Food.  Running.  Workouts.  You name it and I'm changing it.  I embrace change.  Always run on the assumption that change is good.  Really!  Think about it.  Without change there is no growth.  If I hadn't made changes back in the day .. I'd still be sporting around at 256 lbs.  OMG!  I couldn't imagine.  I shutter the thought....  But back to my topic.  With the impending changes, I need some new equipment. 

Now, I'm really not a cheap person.  But my hubby and I are kinda frugal.  If we can make something or call in a favor for an item...well...it is gonna happen.  We also keep hold of items with the thought that "it may be used one day".  It drives me nuts he is a "pack rat" but it comes in handy so often.  As most of my readers know, well, I workout at home.  That is where the "cheap" comes in.  I'm not really a gym person.  Yes, I don't mind working out with others.  But I do pretty well on my own.  I'm starting to come around to the idea of "workout & running buddies".  Really.  I am.  So, I wanted a weight sled.  Something to pull around.  Frontwards.  Backwards.  You name it.  I started looking at them on line.  Yes they are on there.  I could buy one anywhere from $100 to $600 dollars!  OMG!  

THAT ISN'T HAPPENING!  So I did the next best thing!  I hit up YouTube.  Yes, I found at least 50 videos on making a weight sled.  And I read many an article.  All requiring different amounts of skill.  And different supplies.  I decided on just a basic pull sled for now.  For the basic sled you need ..... a used tire (truck works the best), jigsaw, rope (length you desire), duct tape, and piece of plywood. 

Take your tire and cut a hole in the middle of the "driving surface" .. large enough to fit the rope through.  Now you can do one of two things......either place the rope through the hole and out the middle of the tire looping around the sidewall OR half way portion of the rope in the middle of the tire and knot it so it can not slip back out of the tire, then wrap your duct tape around the knot.  At the ends of the rope on the pulling end ... makes loops large enough to place over your shoulders OR around your chest (over one shoulder and under the other arm).  Tie a knot in it and duct tape it for comfort.  Now take your piece of plywood and cut a piece large enough to place in the tire flat so your "weight" of choice does not fall through.  And there you have it! 


My finished project.  She may not be pretty but she will do the job.  I started out with regular rope but when wrapped around my shoulders .. NO!  So we happened to have a large and small tow strap on hand.  That width worked much better for me.  Sorry but I do think comfort when I'm planning to drag a good bit of weight around my driveway and yard.  LOL 


As you can see I just threw in a piece of wood.  Not really technical.  There will be adjustments made to her in the future and that is fine.  Approximate weight of the sled ... 50 lbs.  Tire is roughly 40 and my two tow ropes are roughly 10 combined. 


The tow strap that I wrap around my shoulders either forward or backwards.  Works for me right now!  There will be adjustments or maybe a whole new sled in the future.  One with handles for pushing, pulling, bar for plates, or sides so my weight doesn't fall out.  I use my favors wisely! 


The kiddos just have too good of a time with this!  Muscles has been getting a workout pulling Killer around.  Gonna work out well for us.  See what that junk tire, piece of wood, and old tow strap can do.  Become part of a whole new workout world.  Have enough to make an additional sled.  I'm thinking about it.  Maybe.  Just maybe some others might want to come over and "play" with me. 

Remember, I'm getting used to the idea of "workout buddies"! 

Hope that my instructions were not confusing!  If you decide to give making on a shot, please by all means let me know.  I want to see pics of your sled and you pulling it!  If you have any questions on making one just let me know.  I maybe able to give you some cost effect ideas on making your sled! 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment