Sunday, January 22, 2012

The end of the regular season.....

A little of my LOVE today.....

Today was the last "regular season" wrestling matches.  Now, both Killer and Muscles have enjoyed themselves this season.  That is not saying there haven't been a few tears shed.  It has been a learning experience for both of them.  Going into our first wrestling season, I wanted my kids to learn a few lessons.  For Muscles ....  needed to learn that being physically strong doesn't always insure wins and that you are in charge of the outcome.  See wrestling is different for anything he has done.  With football or baseball, it is a team effort.  This is you and you alone.  Yep, your teammates may be cheering you on but there is no one else in the circle with you.  And for Killer ....  needed to learn that she is capable of  many things and that no matter others opinions if you like something DO IT! 

Pit stops have been made.  Uniforms have been checked.  Can we go already? 





Off they head into the unknown...at least to us it is unknown.  God forbid a parent without proper papers walk close to the officer! 




They are over there.....trust me! 




TRUST ME!  Killer really wants that IPOD touch.....

.
  

Killer was up first!  UGH!  Killer, Killer, Killer.  Where do I begin?  It has been a long season for Killer.  She really loves it.  But we really have had our ups and downs.  She was ready for practice daily and LOVED Sundays.  You couldn't tell either once we got there most times.  BUT, she did.  Her first match of the season was great!  Then after that .... well let's just say she was like a turtle when it flips over on its back.  If you remember a few weeks back, I resorted to bribery.  My deal was if she WON ONE MATCH during the rest of the season .... I would buy her a IPOD Touch.  Now, even my husband said that a snowball had a better chance in ..... You know the phrase.  But secretly we really wanted to pay up on this deal.  It is all she has talked about for the past two weeks. 

Last week there were no matches in her favor.  So, it all came down to today!  The last regular season match!  I told her the night before and this morning...REMEMBER I'M PRETTY STRAIGHT FORWARD....to just go bat-shit crazy today.  Work like she had never worked before.  Push those little boys around.  Don't, don't, don't leave with anything but a win.  I know pretty harsh for a six year old but I REALLY WANTED HER TO WIN ONE MATCH THIS SEASON!  We headed into the first match.  Looked pretty even size wise.  I could tell the coaches were pulling for her.  Apparently, all other girls that have went out for the team in the past have never finished a season.  And there were other fans in the stands!  It was back and forth.  TRUST ME...NO PICTURES WERE TAKEN!  I was on my feet, hiding my face, breathing heavy, and going crazy.  First round....no pin either way.  We made it to the second round....no pin either way.  WTH, she made it to the third round!  No pin either way.  It scored 14 to 6 in her opponents favor.  NOW, we saw this as a win!  She didn't get pinned and made it the entire match. 

So, we waited for the second match.  Amazing how like twenty minutes can seem like hours!  She was up!  First round....no pin either way.  We made it to the second round....no pin either way.  WTH, she made it to the third round again!  Again!  There was so much heavy breathing, panting, and sweating!  You would have thought I was at the end of my marathon.  Pap Grimm was screaming!  Grandma Grimm was screaming!  Dad was screaming!  Her friends family was screaming!  Her coach was on the floor screaming at her.  There were so many OMG's said in the stands.  I heard her name being yelled from another part of the stands.  The time ran out and there was no pin either way.  The scoreboard read 10 to 7.....




In her favor!  Did you hear that?  IN HER FAVOR!  She won!  She won!  She won!  She won!  And I have to purchase and Ipod Touch.  I've never been so happy to part with money.  I can't tell you how happy she is.  And how ready for next year!  Isn't it amazing what one little ribbon can do?

After a long wait!  Long wait!  Long wait!  Muscles was up.  He was ready.  My deals with him were if he won two matches during the rest of the season I would purchase two DS games for him OR if he finished his last two meets with all pins (total of 4) then I would get him a IPOD Touch.  I had to make his deal harder!  He didn't think the IPOD was within his grasp.  And I told him as long as he thought that ... he would never get it.  I explained to him that when we doubt ourselves, we beat ourselves.  Told him of entering many competitions in the past knowing full well I wasn't the best.  But knowing that the best was going to have to beat me.  I wasn't going to give the win away.  He will learn this more as he gets older.  Last week saw one win for Muscles.  So, going into today, he only needed one win.  I told him that the pot would be sweetened if he got two pins today but he doubted himself again.  So, I wasn't worried.



He's over there patiently waiting!  The first match came around.  First round....no pin either way.  Second round....no pin either way.  Muscles was down many times.  Pap Grimm yelled, sometimes under his breath "Stand up!".  Muscles did.  Pap then replied, under his breath, "Damn that boy is strong."  Third round....Muscles was down many times.  Pap Grimm yelled.  Grandma Grimm yelled.  Dad yelled.  Hadley yelled.  I yelled.  Others yelled.  The match was called at 16 to 3 in the opponents favor.  We don't know why it was called.  There was no pin.  But hey, one thing is for sure, the score may look really loopsided but that boy worked for each and every single one of those 16 points.  Muscles watched me from the stands.  I nodded my head and shook my fist.  He nodded his head and smiled.  I knew in my heart of hearts ... Muscles wasn't leaving without some type of a win.  After another wait....we were up again!  First round....no pin either way.  Muscles was getting mad!  Pap Grimm yelled and said, under his breath, "Get mad and take this boy down."  Second round....PIN.  Yeppers, Muscles pinned his opponent!  It was great.  He was so excited!

I mention the comments from my Dad, Pap Grimm, for a few reasons.....1.  I have been really afraid of how Pap would be with Muscles when it came to sports.  Pap was a wonderful athlete and not just in his mind.  And he had a tendency to really push and be annoying with my brother and I.  and 2.  I love to hear the little comments under his breath.  I don't usually sit beside him and love to hear that he is amazed by my child.  So, here we are at the end of the regular season.  We may not have come out with as many wins under our belts as wanted but we learned what it takes.  And that bribery works.  Lord knows my wallet is going to be lighter!.  Now next weekend there might be a small tournament but we aren't sure.  I will be more than happy to report any wins that may come.  As of right now, Muscles and Killer are looking forward to next season.  Can't wait to see what it may bring!     

1 comment:

  1. wow that is so awesome. Really proud of Killer and muscles too, but especially killer. Sorry you have to part with $400. haahaha

    ReplyDelete