Friday, January 6, 2012

This little girl.....

Earlier in the week this picture came across my screen.......


Now, I know there are more than likely many thoughts and opinions about this picture and the use of it.  Truthfully, it doesnt' bother me.  The truth hurts.  I know it is hard to be a little girl when you're not.  This picture has brought up many feelings for me.  I was this little girl.  Now, I may not necessarily have been shaped like her but I was a "big" little girl. 

My son is built just like me.  Imagine this as a 6 year old girl.... 


 
Mind you he is 8 years old in these pictures.  (I in no way shape or form think there is anything wrong with my son!  This just isn't the optimal little girl figure.)  When I look at her eyes......I go back to being her.  The feelings.  The questionable self-esteem.  The doubt.  The list could go on and on.  There are many reasons this could happen.  Inactivity.  Food choices.  Genetics.  Even finances.  Unfortunately, we have become a nation of excess.  A nation of laziness.  A nation of excuses.  No matter your feeling, one thing is for certain, people need to take some responsibility in our own lives.  Even at a young age, we are capable of making good choices. 

Now don't get me wrong, our "food system" needs work.  Most of the stuff out there contains questionable nutritional value.  Along with a slew of preservatives, additives, and chemicals that we DON'T know the long term ramifications of.  But that isn't what I'm talking about today.  Nothing pains me more than to see any child, regardless of size, walking by a cart at the store packed with cookies, chips, frozen pizzas, and pop.

What I want for you to take from this is a few things........1.  If you are the parent of this child, regardless of sex, please think.  You set the example they will follow.  I know change can be hard but it can be and will be worthwhile.  2.  No matter your size (2 or 32) don't involve your child in your constant battle with food or weight.  They pay attention to EVERYTHING.  To how you view yourself.  How you speak about yourself.  How you cope with things.  All of that will be emulated by them.  3.  Regardless of your relationship with this child ... don't judge her or him.  You haven't walked in their shoes.  And most of important of all 4.  Ingrain in this child......


We all have a light.  And we need to let it shine.  Support her or him.  Stand by her or him.  Regardless of your relationship with this child, let them know they are worthwhile.  Guide them in this world.  Take a minute and share something with them.  Even the smallest of gestures may turn out to be momentous.  I don't really know if I accomplished what the goal of this post was.  But this picture just brings back so many feeling and thoughts.  Some that I could never explain.  I grew up with loving and supportive parents.  Who tried to instill a good sense of self.  BUT little kids do know how to act.  I worked out my issues to a great extent.  Some may never leave.

Please just think before you judge!         

No comments:

Post a Comment