Friday, December 9, 2011

Character flaw or attribute?

Perseverance ..... continued steady belief or efforts, withstanding discouragement or
                             difficulty; persistence. 

Synonyms ..... doggedness, steadfastness, perseverance, persistence, tenacity, pertinacity.

The "Never Give Up" attitude ....

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up.  The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time."  Thomas Edison

"Never give in.  Never give in.  Never, never, never, never, never...in nothing, great or small, large or petty...never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense.  Never yield to force.  Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy."  Winston Churchill

Persistence and perseverance are key ingredients to success.  Always live your life by the old saying, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again." 

A character trait is something that everyone has.  In fact everyone has quite a few.  They can be either positive or negative.  The character trait of perseverance is a positive.  It means the ability to persevere or see something through.  Life can be difficult, having perseverance can make it more manageable.

When does perseverance and the never give up attitude become a character flaw?  I don't give up on things.  Even after being told NUMEROUS times too.  It just isn't in me.  I believe that it will change.  I believe that I can do.  I believe that this time will be different.  I believe I can "conquer this hill".  I believe I can "slay this dragon".  I believe.  I believe.  I believe. 

That is how I live my life.  Everyone and everything deserves one more chance.  One more try.  One more go around.  But when is enough, really enough?  When does it become just like "beating your head against a wall"?  I have given my all.  I have fought the good fight.  I have believed this time will be different.  I want to prove the "nay-sayers" wrong.   

Today a friend, Carla Ls Jett Riemer, shared this passage sent to her from a friend .......

When you are tired and discouraged from fruitless efforts..
God knows how hard you have tried. 

When you've cried so long and your heart is in anguish..
God has counted your tears.

If you feel that your life is on hold and time has passed you by..
God is waiting with you.

When you're lonely and your friends are too busy for a phone call..
God is by your side.

When you think you've tried everything and you dont' know where to turn..
God has the answer.

If suddenly your outlook is brighter and you find traces of hope..
God has whispered to you. 

When things are going well and you have much to be thankful for..
God has blessed you.

When something joyful happens and you are filled with awe..
God has smiled upon you.

When you have a purpose to fulfill and a dream to follow..
God has opened your eyes and called your name.

Remember that wherever you are or whatever you are facing ... GOD KNOWS! 

He knows how I have tried.  How I have been persistent to no avail.  He knows what I have faced.  And I say today is the day.   I wipe my hands one over the other and bid farewell.  It pains me to believe the "nay-sayers" were right.  But I will live every second, minute, hour, day, month, and year knowing that my perseverance and persistence is not a flaw but an attribute.      

I wish each and everyone one of you a wonderful evening.  Let those you love know it!  Laugh as much as possible!  Live life!  And remember never allow someone to be a priority to you when you are just an option to them! 



No comments:

Post a Comment