Monday, December 19, 2011

OUTSIDE!

After a little morning confusion & running around ... what a wonderful day!  Dropped the kiddos off at school.  Came home and donned some running gear.  Just did 3 miles today.  OUTSIDE!  Goodness, do I love running outside.  100% will be out there again on Wednesday.  Regardless of the weather!  It felt great!  Going to start taking some pics of where I run and posting.  Pretty boring area but it is something to look at.  As for my challenges, today I did a total of 70 chair dips, 85 push-ups, and 110 squats. 

Over the weekend, I attended my husbands Christmas party.  In my mind I knew there would be some running talk.  Johns' supervisor (I don't really know what his title is!) and his wife are runners.  In the past three years they have become runners.  Their love is the 1/2 marathon.  Her goal is to break 2 hours.  Her last race time was 2 hrs. 0 min. and 1 second.  Now admit it!  On the scale of "sucking" that ranks right up there.  Trust me, 1 inch stopped me from going to a state track meet over 20 years ago and it has stayed with me me.  At least she gets a chance at redemption. 

He had knee surgery a few months back and is working to get back.  She asked about future plans.  I told her about a 1/2 in April, something in Pittsburgh in May, and the Wineglass in September.  She was impressed that I already was planning a marathon.  They both told me that was the farthest thing from their minds when they finished their first full.  I told her it probably has to do with that it feels "incomplete" to me.  I don't know how to put it.  I didn't get what I wanted.  Plus, it works out nicely because of the family aspect.  My brother and mother will both be running the full.  And my future sister-in-law is talking about doing something that day.  IDK ... heard a rumor about it. 

She explained how she picks races that are "away" so they can make mini-vacations out of them and that they never double up.  Well there is a bit of a "financial" difference us and them.  Their children are both out of school and they both work.  So it is only the two of them.  I've got two kids to bring along with me.  I told her my cousin, Stephanie, who lives in Oklahoma City wants me to come out and run.  She has been running and doing Tris for years.  She wants me to do the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon "with" her.  That is what I plan to ask for my anniversary this year......the OK to go.  That is my race for 2013!

We discussed the "bond" between runners.  That yes we all have admired those who run marathons but until you "experience" one, good or bad, you will never understand.  After the "experience" you have a new found respect for all of your fellow runners.  FAST or SLOW.  YOUNG or OLD.  BIG or LITTLE.  FIRST or LAST.  2 1/2 hours or 8 1/2 hours.  Unless you are an elite runner, it isn't about "winning" or "what place".  The "win" is finishing.  With finishing you enter into that 1 or 2% of the population that has completed a marathon.  The feeling of crossing that line can not really be described.

It felt wonderful to talk running with people who run!  The continued conversation with my Momma gets a little old.  There are so many in my life that never asked about my experience and that is OKAY.  It isn't there thing.  I just enjoyed talking about running.  I consider myself a runner.  I'm not a "speedy" runner nor a "slug".  But what it has done for me is immeasurable.  It is like my therapy.  I love having that time to myself.  Don't get me wrong, I love all exercise.  And a day isn't great without it.  But there is nothing like going out and running 3, 5, 8,  or 10 miles.  Just you and nothing else.  Because lets' be realistic ... when I get 7 miles from the house the only way I'm getting back is how I got there.  See what getting OUTSIDE did for me!  I'm ready to go again...NOW!  I want it to snow.  Running in the snow is "peaceful".

I remember my 2012 motto and 2012 saying.  I repeat them daily.  I will accomplish my goal!  Back at something tomorrow.  I'm missing my date with TONY.  I'll do Ab Ripper tomorrow ... Leroy shouldn't fall because I'm doing a ab workout!  Hope everyone had a great and wonderful day!            

No comments:

Post a Comment