Monday, December 26, 2011

The holidays ....

Just like all of you, I've been busy the past couple of days!  It doesn't seem like Christmas to me though.  I've really been in the "spirit" of the holiday for a little while now BUT I think the 45 degrees and sun have played a small part in making it not feel like Christmas.  Just not used to it!  Oh well, moving on!  The kids woke with an annoying cough on Christmas Eve and it continued throughout the entire day.  UGH!  Christmas Eve is when the Brereton family gathers together and celebrates the holiday.  It consists of what I call the five C's .... crafts, conversation, competitiveness, confusion, and consumption.  I could get into the details of the five C's but I won't.  The kiddos enjoyed themselves.  Well, Payne isn't necessarily into crafts all the time now.  Remember, he is 8 going on 16 but he doesn't like to tell people "no". 

In the gift exchange, Payne received the Alien Lego's that he had on his list.  Wait a minute .... are you telling me when Grandma asks what is on the list she supplies other people with information?!  Hadley received a "Mommy and Me" type doll, accessories, and matching clothes.  She really wanted one for Christmas.  I was excited for her.  One, that was very similar, was waiting at home to be put under the tree but it isn't a big deal.  I just kept it in the bag and plan to return it when she goes back to school.  We returned home.  Got out our cookie, cheese stick, and pain reliever for Santa.  Placed the reindeer food in bowl on the front porch.  And we all headed off for bed. 

Then guess what!!  Santa came and so did Mom and Dad!  See the "big guy" doesn't get credit for everything in our house.  In the stocking came candy, scratch-off tickets, and other "junk".  Except that is for Payne!  You see his stocking was filled with COAL.  Yep, a stocking full of COAL.  Santa sees all.  And sometimes, just sometimes, he needs to send a little message about what he sees.  Payne was excited he got his much desired Nintendo DS 3D.  I don't know how the name goes.  I just bought it.  Santa may not have thought he deserved it but Mom & Dad did.  Needless to say he loves it!  Everything else does not matter.  Nothing else has been touched.  That is until the DS was taken away today.  Didn't even get a full 48 hrs.  Hadley has pretty much played with every thing.  But she is most intrigued with her portable DVD player from Grandma and Pap Grimm.  She has watched Tangled at least 7 times in the past 24 hours.  The electric scooters from Grandma and Pap Brereton will be assembled and I'm positive during the warmer months they will be used quite frequently.  We spend a lot of time outside.  Plus, I'm pretty sure they can ride those as I run!  BONUS!     

John is happy with his Atari Throwback that we bought him.  40 vintage Atari games.  We laughed and laughed about the "REALSPORTS" on them.  Hilarious!  I'm excited about my new running gear (from the hubby) and stash of Honey Stickers energy chews (from the in-laws).  They both will be put to GOOD use!  My "bestest" present came from my parents.  Not at all what I thought was coming.  I was expecting a gift certificate for running shoes or some type of exercise stuff.  But my Momma surprised me and went off the list.  You see she got tired of listening to me complain about my sewing machine.  Yep, she bought me a new sewing machine!  My response upon opening the box ... "Oh hot damn!"  I have scarves, a skirt, and a pattern purchased already.  And it gets even better .... it is like two gifts in one!  Not only do I get a new machine BUT I get to destroy the old one!  I'm so excited! 

As for my plan to "spread holiday cheer" ... I have two more gifts to hand out over the next few days.  Remember, sometimes it is those little unexpected things in life that can brighten ones day.  I've really enjoyed handing these items out.  Already planning for next year!  One day after the "big day" and I'm already planning for Christmas 2012.  We've started our gift list for others and plan to pick them off throughout the year.  Going to pick-out Johns' gift for next year this week.  Trust me!  There is no one else on this planet that will purchase what I'm getting.                

             

No comments:

Post a Comment