Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Just so you know ... we now come with ingredient lists

Food is such an interesting subject.  I know on the subject of food people may not agree with me.  And that is 100% fine.  It is an issue we can agree to disagree on.  When it comes to food in our house, I truly do try to use the healthiest, most natural, and best of everything.  Free range chicken, natural beef, game, fresh eggs, real butter, and the list goes on and on. 

I like to think that it works for us.  We are a household free of prescription medications.  There is no high cholesterol.  No high blood pressure.  No nothing!  Which greatly pleases us.  One thing that we have learned over the past year is to be accepting of what is deemed as "different" food choices.  I think accepting is the right term.  I know Vegans, Vegetarians, and some that are just very, very picky eaters.  We all have our reasons for our choices. 

It does get old answering "food questions".  I know those out there that "lean" more toward our side of the fence know what I mean.  And it has really gotten old.  Over the holidays, we encountered a interesting situation or the "straw that broke the camels back".  My contribution to the Christmas Eve meal was Irish Beef Stew and Homemade Wheat Bread.  The stew recipe is tried and true from Epicurious.  We just love it!  The situation arose when we, my husband and I, were asked "What kind of meat is in there?"  I found this to be a interesting and frustrating question.  Interesting because the choices were either Beef or Venison.  Both are grass fed and lean red meats.  Now had those questioning taken the time to look at the stew, they would have seen "fat" at the top of the pot.  Not something that you get with 100% Venison. 

This question frustrated both of us because we've never questioned "what" is in someones food.  Did you use fresh eggs in those deviled eggs?  Only real mayo not the other stuff?  If you used ketchup in your baked beans did it have high fructose corn syrup in it?  Did you use real butter or margarine in the Mac & Cheese?  Was the cheese processed or real?  What is in the cole slaw?  Is the pasta whole-wheat, whole-grain, or white?  Is this homemade or from a box mix?  Did you actually make this bread or is it from the freezer section?  Now those are some annoying questions, right?  Guess what ... we've never asked any of those questions.  Nope, not once.  I, personally, have voiced that I don't like certain things and/or don't eat certain items.  So, therefore, I just don't eat them.  John picks and chooses also.  

Because of the questions over the past year, we have decided in the future our contributions will come with ingredient lists.  So, right off the bat, it will clear up any confusion.  You should be able to look at something and decide if you want to eat it or not.  Trust me, I've come home more than once hungry from many events.  So should you invite any member of this Brereton household to your home and we bring food, we will come with ingredient lists. 

Truly, I think I can speak for Vegans, Vegetarians, and very, very picky eaters when I say ............

STOP WITH THE QUESTIONS!  

If you don't consume our offerings it just leaves more for us!  Honestly and truthfully, this topic has added a lot of laughter for John and I over the past couple of days.  I truly hope that each and every one of you has a great and wonderful evening!  Now I'm off to eat my baby brussels sprouts in real butter, vegetarian baked beans with added homemade organic brown sugar and HFCS free ketchup, venison steaks (not for me), and for dessert later I'm going to have a sugar cookie made with organic whole wheat flour, fresh eggs, real butter, and organic sugar.  Maybe even a chocolate chip cookie with all natural ingredients also.

HAVE A GREAT ONE!   

No comments:

Post a Comment