Monday, November 21, 2011

Cleaning ... my way!

Okay, we all have to admit that some days NOTHING exciting happens.  Really!  I spent my day cleaning.  Action packed adventure around here!  Just me and my homemade cleaning products.  You heard me right ... I make my own cleaning products.  And it isn't because we're broke!  We all can admit that cleaning products are not cheap.  And no matter how much you spend .... the dirt is right back there in a couple of days! 

Also, I started to really think about the amount of chemicals that we inhale.  The chemicals that are absorbed through our skin.  Think about that furniture polish, spray cleaner, etc.  What the heck is in that crap?  It can't be good for you.  And with laundry, I have a hard time with "something".  Yes, I'm one of those lucky few that get welts, hives, and general irritation from certain brands and fragrances.  If I just smell one particular brand I start to itch.  No lie.  So, as my friend Alison said, I jumped on over to the dark side. 

Thought I would share my "recipes".............

Liquid Laundry Detergent

Ingredients
3.1 oz bar of Ivory soap,  1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax,  1/2 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda,  and Water 
Tools
5 gallon container, knife, pot large enough to hold 5 cups of water, long stirring stick/spoon
Instructions
Shave soap into small pieces and place in pot with 5 cups water.  Bring to just shy of boil and stir until soap is melted.  When soap is almost melted, pour 3 gallons of hot water in to the 5 gallon container and let sit until the soap in the pot is melted.  Once all melted, pour mixture into container and stir.  Add washing soda and stir until dissolved. Add borax and stir again until dissolved.  You can add essential oils if you want it to smell.  Place lid on container and let sit over night.  Stir before using. 
For about $10.50 at WalMart, I can get three 5 gallon containers.  Use about 1/2 cup per load.  If really dirty, I will use more.  Takes about 10 minutes.   


Fabric Softener

3 cups vinegar, 2 cups conditioner, 6 cups water

Mix together and there you have it.  I do purchase the cheap heavy conditioner and add 3 cups instead of 2.  Seems to work better for us.  Cost is dependent on how much you spend on the conditioner.  How fast can you measure?     


Furniture Polish

1 cp olive oil, 1/2 cup lemon juice, and 1/2 cup vinegar

Mix in spray bottle, shake, and use.  We'll just go with cheaper than in the store!  

I have others for another day............................................................. 


Day 7 - I'm thankful for my health.  I do have pains and problems just like everyone else BUT it could be so much worse.  And compared to last year at this time.....life is GRAND! 

No comments:

Post a Comment