Saturday, November 5, 2011

My "Little Eagle"

This is my "Little Eagle".  Tonight we attended the United Little Eagles Football Banquet.  Our "Eagle" played on the Bantam squad this season.  He was an anchor on the strong side of the Offensive line and a lineman on Defense. 

This fall the squad had a rough season.  New coach, new staff, new system, and a lot of new "Little Eagles".  Trust me, when I say "Little Eagles".  There are some little ones out there.  But, as in life, you take the good with the bad. 

This banquet marked a changing point in our household.  You see next year our "Little Eagle" graduates from the Bantam squad.  Next year he will play on the Junior Varsity team.  For a group of 9 to 11 year olds that sounds impressive doesn't it? 

I watched and listened as people filed past our table in line for dinner.  About 18 out of 20 would speak to my son.  Athletes, parents, siblings, and even grandparents.  I will quote myself ... "Honey, I think people really like our young man.  Everywhere we go people yell out "Payne" or "Hey Payne".  That makes me feel really good as parent.  My son would blush if he read this.  In public he can be quiet and shy.  His freckled cheeks turn bright red.  Which only makes his "baby blues" stand out more! 

After the presentation of trophies, we were ushered off to the cafeteria for dinner.  I don't know how banquets go in your neck of the woods but the Little Eagle banquets are catered.  They ask that parents bring a dessert to share.  I was looking forward to a nice meal.  I remember liking last years.  I knew going in that this would not fly on my REAL food challenge.  Most of the time I plan and take some "backup".  Tonight was different.  I decided to just go and see what was "on the table".  At the request of our "Little Eagle", I made brownies.  Yes, it can be done naturally and organically. 

As I approached the buffet dread set in.  At first sight, I was presented with oven roasted chicken LOADED with herbs, rigatoni, some type of cheesy stuff, bread, and a small salad.  The "sigh" let my family know that Momma was not a happy camper.  WHY DIDN'T I PLAN AHEAD?  I passed on the chicken.  It just screamed "heartburn".  And I DETEST eating boned chicken with plastic silverware.  I decided on a small spoonful of rigatoni.  At the next chafing dish the server asked me if I wanted some potatoes.  POTATOES?!  CHEESY POTATOES?!  Until then I thought it was some type of Macaroni & Cheese.  I tried to make her feel good and said "Sure just a little."  She tried to reassure me by telling me that they were really good.  I finished off my plate with a slice of bread and a small salad. 

Two bites into my "meal" I pushed the plate away and said "That is enough!  Can't do it!"  I, personally, think that you should have to chew potatoes and rigatoni not have it so mushy it just slides down.  Payne and I traded.  He gave me his small salad.  You see it had more dressing in those little bowls than we normally eat in a year!  But I was hungry and I had to chew it!

Now this is where FUEL comes in play.  We are what we eat!  Anytime you have an outing all it takes is a little pre-planning.  I knew a salad would be involved.  Had I planned ahead a little tuna or chicken would have topped that salad off.  Maybe a handful of cranberries and sunflower seeds.  Even a small cheese wedge!  All of that could have been easily packed into a bag and placed into my purse. 

But none of that matters!  This night was about ..............................  




I'm so proud of my "Little Eagle"! 


No comments:

Post a Comment