Sunday, November 27, 2011

Muscles and Killer I

Today the Breretons' attended their first wrestling match.  Muscles and Killer were nervous.  I know that from the countless "my belly hurts" or "don't think I should go today I'm feeling yucky".  Nothing short of vomit or a high fever was keeping them at home.  We headed out.  After a lovely conversation with a Police Officer after arriving, apparently people from "our neck o' the woods" don't know how to read, we dropped our children off at the end of the hallway.  See at no point is a parent allowed in the hallway.  We have deemed it the "wrestling sanctuary".  There wasn't a chance in this world you were getting by "the man".  Which was fine with us.  We bid them farewell and headed off to get a seat. 

Here are Muscles and Killer

Don't try to tell me you aren't afraid!  Seriously, don't they strike fear in your heart?! 

After a few minutes of figuring out who, what, where, and when things are going on....things finally started.  Six "rings" with two different weight classes in each "ring" can get a little confusing! 

Killer was up first!  We could see her down there.  Just waiting patiently.  One thing that we learned today is that when the whistle is blown ..... KILLER POUNCES!  Which is good.  I mean pounces.  She is on the attack immediately.  She took a pretty good shot to the head and a few tears were shed.  Her opponent and his coach felt bad.  But she brushed it off and went back at it.  After three one minute rounds the first match scored 10 to 4 in her opponents favor.  But we were happy!  She never stopped.  Kept moving the whole time!  Did some moves we didn't know she could do.  Her next opponent was a little stronger.  She kept moving.  She fought off being pinned twice BUT in the third round he pinned her. 

I'm done and had fun! 

When we arrived home Killer started to cry.  She told me that she really wanted to win today.  I explained to her that she will just have to try harder and work at it.  Her response was "Mom, I want to win.  I'm going to try my hardest and get better!" I know she will.  She really like seeing other girls there today.  They may have been older but it was a big boost to her that there are other girl wrestlers. 

We thought muscles was up, then he was pushed back, then up, then pushed back.  After several attempts to get his group on the mat it finally happened.  Muscles was nervous.  If there is one thing a Mom can tell from across the gym, it is that your child is NERVOUS! 

Can't you tell!  No you can't because my camera apparently stinks! 

One thing that we learned today about Muscles is that when the whistle is blown.....MUSCLES DOESN'T POUNCE!  Not at all.  And that isn't really good.  Who wants to be on the defensive from the get go?  He lost his first match by the score of 13 to 5.  When his second match rolled around there was a little more "pep in his step".  He put up a good fight for the first round and in the second committed the ultimate NO NO....he landed on his back and was pinned.  Instantly, I knew Muscles was upset. 

Trust me that blurry fella back there is upset! 

 And he has the right to be.  It is hard for me to ask Muscles about his day ... you see I'm just the annoying parent.  The parent that drives him crazy.  I know he was upset and wanted to do better.  We'll just have to see how the rest of the season goes! 

We learned a lot today.  I need a new camera.  Why should I have to put it on "night" to take a picture?  And the kids will know next time what to expect.  Have to admit that I really expected more parents to be yelling.  But there wasn't.  And it is really hard to take pics while your kids are wrestling.  You aren't thinking about it.  And I didnt' even take pictures of their ever faithful fans....... Grandma and Pap Grimm.  Grandma purchased her season pass.  Pap must miss two matches because of prior commitments.  Hugs and kisses were given on the way out!  And we look forward to next week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment